Toshiba SD-2900 DVD Players

4.67/5 (3 Reviews) MSRP : $130.00

ColorStream® Component Video Outputs compatible with today's finest televisions for delivery of stunningly colorful images
  • 10-Bit/27mHz Video digital-to-analog conversion for maximum color purity, detail, and resolution
  • 24-Bit/192kHz PCM Audio Compatibility delivers warmer, more natural-sounding audio from many types of discs
  • DVD-Video/CD/Video CD playback. DVD-R/CD-R/CD-RW* Compatible playback ensures discs made with personal recording devices can be played back in the home theater system, too.
  • Digital Photo Viewer enables a user to display digital photographs on a television set in a variety of popular digital formats.

Submitted by Randall Smith a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
Couldn't resist this player when I saw it clearance-priced for $55 at Best Buy. Was curious to see how much difference was apparent using the component inputs, as opposed to the S-video cable on my old Panasonic A110 (which has served flawlessly for 5 years. Spent more on cables than on the player itself.

I'm impressed by the color saturation & brightness. Cues up reasonably fast. Not much of a display on front panel, but no biggie. Also has a lack of front panel controls, but again, no biggie. So far, has played all discs beautifully without stalling between layer switches. I like the picture & sound enhancement options. My only gripe is the lack of an optical digital output. The digital coax just doesn't sound as "full-bodied" as when using the toslink on my old player, but that may be an aberration.

Submitted by bullfighter87 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
I Bought this DVD Player at Best Buy for a really cheap price about a week ago. I already saw some movies; the picture and sound quality is superior and for that price you can't find a Toshiba DVD Player anywhere, even on eBay! For that price, there are only crappy Apex DVD Players which lack an LCD Display and have a poor picture and Sound Quality

Submitted by kozmo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
This seems to be an excellent player at an ideal cost. I first bought a Panasonic 5 disc changer that was to be used as my CD player as well as my DVD player, but found that I don't like having to change out the dvd when listening to music. This Toshiba is a fine single-disc player with outstanding picture and great sound, when paired with my Yamaha RXV995 receiver anyway. The tray opens quickly and playback is pretty quiet, not as quiet as I would really like it to be, but I bought this for it's price, not overall appeal. The remote is well thought out and functions well. My one complaint so far is that there is no skip buttons on the player itself. When first inserting a DVD I like to skip through the crap to the main menu and set up the audio, if needed. There is only a play stop and pause button on the player itself, and the remote is needed to advance. Anyway, this player is a very good, entry-level, name brand player if you can find it at the right price, which was $75 at Best Buy last week.

High End: