Toshiba SD-1009 DVD Players

Costco/Price CLub

Submitted by Ajay Tandon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2000

Bottom Line:
Hi everyone,

Just to let you know .. check that your player can play DTS (there is no DTS symbol at the front of the player). I had to get a chip upgrade to get my player to play DTS.

Otherwise this is a fantastic machine, as I have already stated in an earlier review.

Submitted by Jr_loach a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
I wasn't planning on buying a DVD player for some time...but when I saw this one advertised for $215.00 (Cnd) at a liquidation sale I HAD to jump at it (macaroni and cheese for TWO WEEKS). It was a returned/repaired model and only had a one month warranty. I decided that even if I had to get it repaired, it was still going to cost less than a new Toshiba DVD.

The picture from this DVD machine is EXCELLENT. I thought my VCR was pretty stylin' but I can hardly watch an analog tape anymore. The player has some nifty features for a lower end model. Up to 3X zoom, screen saver, blue or grey screen, nice slow mo' and search features (it does jump around a bit at 30X, but that's expected). There is a parental lock feature, sound expansion feature (supposedly simulated 3D sound from two speakers), front panel dimming, and it even says "goodbye" when you turn it off (awww!) I have a 21" RCA TV and have never seen picture clarity like this before. I used to own a laserdisc player and DVD kicks it's 12 inch ass!

Now for what I'm not too thrilled about. This model has regular RCA video output and S-Video output but no component video output (the one that separates the "component" colors of the signal and sends them to a TV that has the correct inputs). I wasn't too worried about this, however, since my RCA TV does not even have S Video inputs, let alone the component kind. I AM going to upgrade my TV and have read several articles claiming that the S-Video is pretty close to component as far as picture quality is concerned, so no big whup. I'll never know what I'm missing.

I was a little concerned to find the picture was ghosting slightly around white objects. It was very noticable when the credits in a film were rolling by. I wiggled the video output cable and it went away. Now...I have not touched the cables since I hooked it up...so I have to think the jack was loose when I bought it. This might be something to check out if you were to buy one of these babies. I know Toshiba has a history of the jacks being rather cruddy...I actually find that most companies don't spend enough on the jacks for their audio/video toys. These things are easily fixed with some solder and a little patience.

The remote is cheaply made. That's my only REAL complaint. No backlighting. Small, crowded buttons that feel like you are going to push them through the thin plastic. Oh well. Find a universal remote, I guess.

Warning: This DVD machine will not play CD-R CD recordings made with a computer. It MIGHT play CD-RW, but I haven't tried it yet. I was a little choked about this, since I have a lot of burnt CD's. Oh well.

I would have to say that even at full price, this machine is fabulous. It plays every DVD you put in it and even a moderately scratched DVD looks flawless. If you are a little shakey about the whole DVD format, walk don't run to get a player. The picture is fantastic and if you have a Digital reciever you won't believe the sound of 5.1 Dolby Digital (Pro-Logic sounds crap after 5.1).

Submitted by Scott a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2000

Bottom Line:
For the price paid it is far more than I expected. The unit is rock solid without the slightist hitch on every movie so far played thru it. It simply works as its suppose to. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a basic player.

Submitted by Ajay Tandon a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
I love this DVD player. I have had it for a couple of months and am very impressed with the picture and sound quality. For the price, I have to admit it is a bargain.

The coax digital sound output is fantastic and both dolby digital and DTS soundtracks sound great. The picture quality is good and I find the zoom feature very impressive.

I would recommend this player to anyone considering buying it.

Submitted by jesse crouch a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
great deal for the money. recomend

PANAMAX: