Technics DVD-A10 DVD Players

4.45/5 (71 Reviews) MSRP : $1200.00

DVD/CD player with Dolby Digital/DTS - 10-bit/27MHz video DAC - 24-bit/96kHz audio DACs - Optical and coaxial digital audio output

Submitted by 89vett a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2005

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up review. I have now used this player for almost a year now and it sounds fantastic.I would also like to address one of the reviews that said this player does not have good CD sound.The opposite could not be more true.
In fact in the November 2000 issue of Sound and Vision magazine they stated that
the DVD A10's CD measurements were some of the best ever measured! I have a new
Audio Research amp coming-D300 and it will be interesting to see how the sound changes. But this player sounds very lifelike, very detailed, and not overly bright or trebly. I have not had one problem with this unit! I have aquired 2 pioneer DVD\CD players since I bought this unit and the DVD A10 still sounds better.And this player has a hidden volume control, so you can plug an amplifier straight into the player.Click the display button twice and toggle the joystick left and the volume menu will come on the player.

Submitted by 89vett a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2004

Bottom Line:
I am using this as a CD player only and
I must say it sounds terrific.I am using
analog outs.It sounds very detailed and
presents the music in accurate form.I
immediately noticed pieces of the music
that I had never heard before.The sound
is not overly bright.And the bass is very
good.It is an excellant piece of equipment.I am using the DVD-A10 with
an Audio Research SP6-b pre-amp,Audio Research D52b power amp,and Canton Ergo 32
speakers with a mirage subwoofer.

Purchased At:   Ebay.

Submitted by Cihangirhan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2004

Bottom Line:
It has been 2 years when I first bought this unit. This can be considered as the best DVD-A/V player at that price (not available any more! What about making protest emails to make Panasonic manufacture limited edition for that unit?). The first DVD-A player invented by Technics and sold around cheaply to make the format more popular. I think the price is a “lose money make the format popular” philosophy of Technics. How many CD players could you found weighting 8.5kg at this price? It is built to last! Built like a truck. Never skips due to extreme bass resonance of the room. It plays, plays and plays silently. Excellent built quality even some may call it a bit old fashioned. Hey just listen the sound when you load/unload CD’s man! This is not a plasticky piece of junk, this is a real precious metal, bullet proof CD/DVD player. This can be considered as a high-end built quality equipment. Never skipped any DVD for 2 years. Never made me disappointed with DVD’s.

Purchased At:   Turkey

Submitted by kiperto a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased one of these units to get into DVD- Audio just as the prices on the A10 sarted to fall. in over two years of using it as a DVD player it has never disappointed me. It is a bulletproof unit. As a netflix member since 2000 I have never had a disc it could not play.

I must respond to the reviews about its CD playback. Compared to my NAD 512 used as a transport and a PS Audio DAC, the Technics is dull and lifeless, remaster or no. I gave up trying to listen to CDs on this unit in a few days.

When listening in DVD-A you will immediately notice the difference in formats. I love to show off the difference between CD/DVD-A using the Buena Vista Social Club which I own in both formats. There is so much depth to the DVD sound its scary. It almost makes you angry at the purveors of "perfect sound forever" 20 years ago. If only recordings were more widely available in DVD-A.

Other than its less-than impressive CD playback (my wife also agrees the dedicated CD setup is much better) I notice that when I play I a DTS disc through the decoder I get terrible distortion through the center channel on loud passages or in action sequences. Since my receiver does not have a DTS decoder I am limited to Dolby Digital.

As I am moving to Japan in a year I will probably sell my unit or relegate it to bedroom duty and replace it with a Pioneer DV-656A because of its abilty to be hacked to play all-region discs.

Not saying that I have been disappoined in this unit. DVD playback is excellent and it has never hiccuped. If you can still find one, jump on it.

Purchased At:   J&R

Submitted by 74cuda a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
What can I say,its been a year and it still works great.I have two other dvd players,more expensive,and for music/dvd a,I usually use the technics.It really is better than even I thought.No cd-r could be a killer for some but I have about 700 redbook cd's so its not an issue.DVD-A is almost as good as the new 1k players.Naturally this player is no longer worth 1k,but at 2 or 3 hundred its better than a cheapo,less, its a steal.

Purchased At:   hhgregg