Sony DVP NS500V DVD Players

4.24/5 (25 Reviews) MSRP : $300.00

- Plays DVD-Video discs, CDs, stereo and multi-channel SACDs, and audio CD-Rs & CD-RWs.
- 27MHz/10-bit video DAC.
- SmoothScan search.
- SmoothSlow forward/reverse.
- Digital Video Enhancer.
- DVD/CD Text.
- Custom Parental Control (50-disc).
- Digital Cinema Sound modes.
- Built-in Dolby Digital/DTS decoding with 5.1-channel output.
- Bass management for Dolby Digital, DTS, and SACD.
- Optical and coaxial digital outputs for Dolby Digital/DTS/PCM.
- 2 sets of A/V outputs (2 composite, 2 S-video & 1 component video).

Submitted by Rich Arsenault a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is the deal that I brag about! Wanted to test the sacd waters without spending a lot of $. Reasoned that if it flopped I'd still have a decent dvd player. What a steal! SACD sounds so clear and full, although I can't compare this player to any others. Good dvd playback(but no progressive scan), great SACD performance, and even surprisingly good CD sound. I was told that Sony slashed the price of these to help push SACD software sales. Maybe, maybe not. All I know is that I got in the SACD game for very cheap. The replacement for this model from Sony is twice the price, so maybe they got wise to it.

Purchased At:   best buy

Submitted by Gury a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
for $87 i love this player. I bought it as an entry level sacd player, but I find myself using it more as a DVD player
in the bedroom. The player plays Cds better than I thought, and sacd better
than the dvp-nc650.

Purchased At:   best buy

Submitted by CS a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
Two Thumbs Up

-Quiet operation
-Smooth Tray
-nice sound after 2 or 3 days burn in
-handles scratched disks effortlessly
-There are a full set of controls on the front of the player that make the remote a convenience rather than a necesity
-Build quality is satisfactory
-Has Super Audio CD if you care

Forget about the cheaper players, start with this one.

Purchased At:   Crutchfield

Submitted by harleyman a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
As far as I am concerned, this player and its 5 disc brother - the DVP-NS650V - are the best kept secret in audio!!! I had never been impressed with Sonys audio products before - and I have owned(and still do) a few.
To get to the point here - I bought this player based on the recommendation of a prominent speaker builder in the high-end SET community.(No - I am currently not using an SET set-up, though I find the remarks of its' proponents intriguing...) I bought this player for $149 at Best Buy; took it home, hooked it up and was astonished at what I heard. This player on standard CDs goes head to head with my current $1K player and in some regards, may even surpass it(inner detail). The Sony produces a very smooth, non-digital sounding presentation - yet there is gobs of detail. Acoustic instrument timbre seems to be pretty close to "spot on". Vocals are natural and immediate. On SACDs - WOW!!! On some recordings it literally is as though you are there at the performance! I am well aware that much of a components sound is dependent on system synergy, so I will qualify this by saying it works extremely well in MY system.
I will add this however - I was so impressed with the sound of this player that I went right back to BB and bought this players 5 disc carousel brother - the DVP-NS650V($199)!!! This is now in my bedroom system and also sounds fantastic. All that I said of the 500V also pertains to the 650V. I suspect that the internals are similar if not identical. Either of these players are a steal at their price if you are looking for smooth, non-fatiguing, sound. I can't wait for more SACDs to become available!!! The system that I auditioned the 500V in :
Jolida JD302B 50w/ch tube integrated
ACI Sapphire III on 25" stands
Alpha-Core Goertz MI II speaker cable(excellent!)
Kimber PBJ interconnects
Rega Planet CD player
Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD player

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by butch a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
Great unit for the money. Excellent dvd picture quality, better than my TechnicsA-10n. SACD playback outstanding for such a low cost unit. Regular CD'S sound ery good also. Bass reproduction on SACD varies greatly between software. Overall an excellent value

Purchased At:   Circuit City