Sony DVP-S550D
Description: Single disc DVD/CD player with Dolby Digital/DTS - 10-bit video DAC with 27MHz processing - 24-bit/96kHz audio DACs - Component video output - 2 Composite and S-video outputs - Coaxial and optical digital audio outputs - analog audio outputs

Submitted by nowdog111 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
Worked for 2 years then I got the dreaded C 13:00 problem. Thought I could fix it like I did with my brother in law's S560D but after opening it up, I realized the S550D is completely different internally than the 560. Something about replacing a SMT capacitor which I am not qualified to do. I am writing this POS off and never buying Sony DVD players again.

Submitted by cawgijoe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is a follow-up. I've owned this player now going on three years and except for the initial lip-sync problem that Sony fixed under warranty by upgrading the firmware, it's been absolutely wonderful. Great menu system. Good sound. Super picture. I can't complain.

Purchased At:   PcMall

Submitted by Marc Belsom a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
I don't know what you're all complianing about- maybe I got lucky, but my DVD is amazing. Not a single problem with mine that has been described with yours. I did get my player for free- It was $400; the guy at ABC gave it to me for 300 because I bought a TV; I sold my old DVD to a friend for 200; I got a free VCR with my TV purchase and sold that to another friend for 150= Free DVD player. Given the quality, I still would have paid the 300 for it. This player has been amazing and I'm recently finding that it plays DVD-R (Hello Blockbuster! Good bye Walmart!) Optical, composite, DVDR capable and hooked into a Yamaha elite series reciever- Good God I'm a happy boy.

Purchased At:   ABC Warehouse

Submitted by kansas126 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have had the player for about 3 years and noticed only ocasionally the lip voice problem. I do watch a ton of movies and when I notice it I just press stop and play again and its fixed. Maybe I so used to it now but I hardly notice it any more. Only wished I'd bought a five disk for my music listening. I haven't had any of the jumping around or pausing between chapters at all.

Purchased At:   American TV

Submitted by Patrick Stojack a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
This unit sucks, don't buy It. I am on my third in two years through warranty and the voices are never syncronized.

Purchased At:   Circuit City