SCAN SC2000 DVD Players

3.11/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $300.00

DVD-Movie and Video Playback with MP3 MPEG 1 and MPEG 2 video and audio decode Backward compatible with CDDA, VCD1.1/2.0/3.0, MP3 and SVCD

Submitted by Tom a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
Definitely recommended for people who want a good player on a tight budget - it's not going to complement a $3000 TV set properly but it's a good starter player for me.

Multi-region comes (almost) straight from the box thanks to a photocopied sheet with all the hacks on. Can be set to specific region or auto-select.

Picture is better than most budget players I've seen. Some sound lag once on Shawshank Redemption but fixed with pause/unpause and no more problems since (even with that disk).

Operation is very quick and responive and the remote is the best DVD remote I've used.

Purchased At:   www.scan.co.uk

Submitted by Dean a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
I don't believe what the previous reviewers say too much. Anyone can end up with a dud occasionally and they seem to have just been unfortunate as my Scan Sc-2000 works perfectly. I haven't needed to upgrade it in any way, all my instructions were included and were very thorough. They explained in detail how to make it permantly multi-region... though I can't remember how to put it back now that I've done it... and shouldn't need to either.
Access time from pressing "Play" (or "select" usually!) is almost instant. The picture quality is as good as any other Digital equipment I own and better than video cassette. Sound quality is also good with no lagging or whatever they call it. Not as good as my Pioneer 703s dedicated CD deck but then it isn't supposed to be for the money. The only problem I've found is that connecting an Ondigital box through its pass through port makes either the Ondigital picture go to all blue (if rgb rather than composite output isn't set on both) and if rgb is set then it tends to be blurry. Using a separate scart socket removes that problem anyway.
I did have a few problems with a couple of DVDs which wouldn't work when I first tried them unless I opened and closed the door a few times but that may be a fault on the DVDs themselves. Strangely the same DVDs don't cause any problems now at all so it was either condensation, dust or some minor bug which has worked itself out... teething troubles from sitting in a cold house and not being used for a while after initial purchase I think.
I am almost 100% satisfied with my Scan DVD player. It fits in perfectly with my Pioneer stack system as well due to its black case and gold shiny feet and details. Unfortunately, I don't understand all the things that the display panel throws up at me but it's big and clear so if I could be bothered to read the instructions again, I might find out! It looks neat though.
And another thing... it is really easy to use. Just connect it up, plug it in, bung a DVD in it and let it rip... easy as that. Who needs instructions anyway. You have to be pretty dumb not to understand a DVD PLAYER... a DVD RECORDER on the other hand might be a different ball game.
The best things about it are the big manly remote control and, of course, the price!

Purchased At:   Scan UK website

Submitted by Steven a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
I've managed to live with the SC-2000 from Scan for about nine months now. Here are the tales of my three players...

Player No 1:- Had a problem with glitching (short pauses 6-7 times during DVD playback). I was instructed to upgrade the firmware. I did this, the problem was still there so I got a replacement.

Player No 2:- The player was working reasonably well, though it still glitched on Underworld's DVD (even after several firmware upgrades). I went on holiday, came back a couple of weeks later and the player was totally dead (though the power supply was okay). After a total of 90 mins on hold trying to get through to tech support, I got a replacement player arranged (though I had to pay postage).

Player No 3:- The brand new model, delivered on 01/Nov/2001. This one manages to play Underworld, but can't manage The Godfather Pt III. I'd had enough at this point and purchased a Pioneer DV-545.

Overall, don't buy one, I know three other people that own this DVD player and between us, we've had eight players delivered! When compared with a decent DVD layer, the picture is grainy and dim, and the audio quality is poor. Out of interest the Pioneer plays all of the DVD's listed above perfectly, the picture and sound quality are stunning.

Purchased At:   Scan

Submitted by Phil a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
When I bought this DVD player, it was probably the best value player around. A friend works with 4 people who owned one, and I bought one on their recommendation.
Setting the player to permanent multi-region was a breeze, and I've never had to change the region since.
Upgrading the firmware has produced better image quality, and I'm told the latest version improves the sound synchronisation, so I'll be upgrading soon.
Upgrading is as simple as downloading from the net, burning to CD-ROM and putting the disc in the player.
Try finding a Sony, Pioneer etc., that let's you do that!

Purchased At:   Scan

Submitted by G Thomas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
Scan in 2001 are selling the new SC2000. Picture qualioty through scart is perfect, never had a problem with DVDs - however the audio track slips on S-VCDs. Maybe as these SVCDs look iffy as anything, but I have lent them to friends with Sony DVD players and no probs. So yes great for MP3 CD's, DVD originals and VCD - but dont touch with SVCDs

Purchased At:   Scan computers