Samsung DVD V1000 DVD Player VCR DVD Players

Samsung's DVD-V1000 DVD-VHS is designed for maximum versatility and convenience. This ""two components in one"" unit allows users to add both a DVD Player and VCR to their home theater systems in the shelf space of one unit. The DVD versatile DVD-V1000 enables users to play their favorite VHS tapes and all disc media such as audio and video CD's, CD-R and DVD. The DVD-V1000 is easy to connect using only one set of cables and is easy to control with a joystick remote control that conveniently operates both DVD Player and VCR. The DVD-V1000 includes the latest component video output terminals for maximum video resolution and DTS compatible optical and coaxial digital audio output terminals.

- Compatible with all disc and tape media.
- Virtual 3D surround sound system.
- Advanced Graphic User Interface.
- Luminescent joystick remote control.
- MTS stereo tumer.

Submitted by RZ Quinn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
After initially purchasing this product based on industry reviews I was reasonably happy. The VCR component works great although has some problems tracking tapes recorded on my other VCR. The DVD worked flawlessly for 18 months and then began to flake out, skip, pixel, and in some cases would not read brand new DVDs at all. I checked into the warranty and found that it was only 1 year parts and labour so I was "SOL". Tried to contact Samsung Canada and was roundly ignored. Lesson learned....... Look for a better manufacturers warranty and don't buy Samsung

Purchased At:   local retailer

Submitted by rnhunsaker a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
I hated this VCD / DVD combo.

The good news:
Granted, it was one of the first ever released. It always worked and it never broke. The VCR never ate a tape. I don’t watch many movies but the DVD never had a problem showing what I wanted to see. I never had to call for customer support. That’s the good news.

The bad news:
DVD:
The DVD is slow to read the table of contents. It is slow to scan forward and back. It is slow to switch chapters. It has very rudimentary ability to play VCDs. The picture quality is blurry compared to a couple of stand alone DVD players that I’ve tried.. The sound quality is below average compared to most stand-alone DVD players I’ve tried.

VCR:
The VCR is also slow. The picture quality is poor and its ability to track tapes from other VCRs or pre-recorded tapes is poor. The sound quality is poor (dialog sounds mumbled, hiss is loud, volume is compressed, etc.). Programming the VCR for recording off-air programs is very difficult.

MP3 playback.
The on screen display for MP3 playback is difficult to read. The 8 character title listing (a common limitation) is completely inadequate.

Remote:
The buttons are small and close together. Many of the buttons have non-intuitive dual functions. If you want to fast-forward or rewind, you must hold the button and keep the remote aimed directly at the DVD-V1000. Even if you have a steady hand, the unit will drop back to play mode unexpectedly. Navigating the on-screen menus is difficult.

Front panel:
Often, I will give up on the remote and try to operate the unit with the front panel buttons. More times than not, I’ve thought I was in DVD (or VCD, or music CD) mode, pushed a button, and had the VCR spring to life.

Recommendation:
I’ve read on the internet that other DVD-VCR combos have compromises as well. I have sold my DVD-V1000 and have purchased a $79.00 Panasonic VCR. This cheap little VCR is fantastic. If it breaks, I’ll throw it away and buy another.

My preamp has 5.1 inputs but does not have video switching. So, I’ve ordered a Panasonic DVD-XP50 that will be modified to eliminate macrovision. I’m not interested in pirating videos (renting from Netflix is cheaper and easier than pirating), but disabling the macrovision will allow me to run the video of the DVD-XP50 through the Panasonic VCR. If there is ever a significant amount of Hi-definition television content, I’ll upgrade my TV and run the component out / progressive scan video of my DVD into my new TV. The combined size of my DVD and VCR will be just a little more than the DVD-V1000.

Purchased At:   Ultimate Electronics

Submitted by anwill a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
Its a decent machine although the remote is not half as responsive or easy to use as my sony dvd or tv. Programming can be a bit of a hassle too.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by mwietro a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
I really only needed an updated VCR with a greater number of program channels, but decided to go with the combo unit. This unit was easy to set up. There are a lot of automatic features that are nice, but they can also be overridden manually.

Purchased At:   Meijer

Submitted by Yort a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
none

Purchased At:   fred meyer