Samsung DVD-HD931 DVD Players

3.65/5 (20 Reviews) MSRP : $258.00

• plays DVD-Video, DVD-R & DVD-RW, DVD+R & DVD+RW, and Video CD
  • plays CD, CD-R & CD-RW, and MP3 CD-R & CD-RW
  • plays digital picture CDs (JPEG)
  • 54MHz/10-bit video D/A converter
  • selectable interlaced/progressive-scan component video output (progressive scan requires an HD-compatible TV)
  • Faroudja DCDi™ de-interlacer/scaler (DVI output only)
  • Digital Natural Image Engine (DNIe™) picture improvement circuitry
  • 10-second Instant Replay
  • front-panel jog dial
  • Screen Fit (eliminates black bars when viewing widescreen DVDs on a regular 4:3 screen)
  • 3D Sound for enhanced 2-speaker sound
  • optical and coaxial digital outputs for Dolby® Digital/DTS®/PCM
  • 1 set of A/V outputs (composite video, S-video, and 480i/480p component video)
  • DVI output with HDCP copy protection (480p/720p/1080i selectable)
  • remote control
  • 96kHz/24-bit audio D/A converter
  • audio signal-to-noise ratio 110 dB
  • 16-7/8"W x 2-3/8"H x 10-15/16"D

Submitted by perfect pitch a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2007

Bottom Line:
The picture via the DVI cable is EXCELLENT. I have a Sony Grand Wega LCD projection TV and an old Sony Trinitron 36" TV that I use mine with (780p on this one, w. standard AV cables - not even component mind you). Anyone who has muddy blacks and shadows - learn to adjust your TV. Yes, you do need to adjust the picture to get it right and you have to experiment with the pre-set brightness settings - i.e. movie, standard, vivid etc. plus the red/blue etc. to dial it in but once you do it's worth the trouble.

Now the bad. This was one of the first HD upconverting DVD players on the market and the sad truth is that it doesn't play some DVD's.

Ours would not play the director's cut of Blade Runner nor the extended version of Close Encounters (that always played fine on our cheap Sony) among other titles at all without pixelling out too often to ignore when we first got it. We sent it back to Samsung and when it came back it was fine for these movies - they had to adjust the laser or some such thing and as it was under warranty it was not an expense - although it took 4 weeks for the whole process.

Next negative: sure it plays these movies fine, but there are others that we rent and others that we've bought that just won't play - CANNOT READ DISK. These movies play fine on other players, like our old Sony, our neighbor's Phillips, heck even on the computer. But not on this Samsung. and then eventually it started pixelling out again and finally could not read any disks. It was still under warranty so we sent it back again. Cured the pixelling but still won't play some DVD's.

Someone suggested wiping off the disks with a soft cloth. Sure, that works if you have a dirty rental, but still there are some disks that no nothing will get this thing to play.

Purchased At:   Flanner's

Submitted by shawnbert a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2004

Bottom Line:
Having already owned 3 DVD players since the 2nd generation, I waited and weighted the option of buying this player. Some of the reviews and sample screenshots were encouraging but there were also less than good opinions. Finally after waiting out a month I bought the unit. Well, bottomline it was a good investment but good amount of tuning the TV and player was required.

I own a Sony Grand Wega LCD projection TV which already has video processing capabilities, which actually made it much more complicated to use the Samsung DVD player since we now have both units trying to perfect the video output...

The black level was definitely darker as advertised, in fact too dark, but as soon as I tune the TV to neutral setting (no or minimal processing), the extra clarity and finer resolution became evident.

I'm still going through my favorite movies and marvel at the new found quality. In most cases, the best way to tell the difference was playing it on my old progressive scan than the Samsung unit, then difference became apparent.

Is it worth the buy? Yes, absolutely to go with a capable television. Chances are better players will come out soon and the prices will drop. In the meantime, I will enjoy my movies...

Purchased At:   Amazon

Submitted by rchekos a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2004

Bottom Line:
I finally invested in a big screen tv, the Samsung 56" DLP. I needed a new DVD player too that would compliment the upgrade in picture quality. The 931 with the DVI connection seemed like the most economical way to enter the fray of true home theater. My first impressions were quite positive. The picture quality is exceptional. I agree that the blue light is a bit annoying under very low light and the remote is not the most friendly, but these quibbles aside, the unit has a great synergy with this television. The blacks and whites were excellent and the colors had nuances I can't recall seeing even in the theaters.

There was an initial problem with the sound. Separation of the discrete channels seemed limited and the dynamics were extremely compressed. I later learned the the 931 is defaulted to a non-digital signal and has a compressed dynamic setting to avoid bothering the neigbors and waking the dead during loud passages. Once I had the right settings, it soon became apparent that for the money, this little machine was a great investment.

I'm not sure of the experiences of others. But with the associative equipment I have, this deck seems to be a great choice that will take several technological advances for me to upgrade any time soon.

Purchased At:   Showcase

Submitted by Ken a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2004

Bottom Line:
I got the Samsung HD931 DVD player, and it really does make a difference in picture quality when connecting to your TV through a DVI cable. Although don't fall for buying the Monster DVI cable. The one that comes with it looked just as good as the $100 Monster one. Also, don't fall for the Monster surge protectors either because they are over-priced. Check out the DVD 'Finding Nemo' and you will see what I mean. The picture is crystal clear with brilliant color. The picture is not grainy like I read in some of these other reviews. I still have my old Hitachi DVD player hooked up to my HT system because it also records CD's. I swapped back and forth between the 2 DVD sources, and the Samsung HD DVD player that was hooked up to my TV with a DVI cable was much far superior.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by freefall-fast a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2004

Bottom Line:
Crap, Crap, Crap.
Colors bleed like a stuck pig, and to add insult to injury the pic kept freezing as if you put the pause on. Then the eject tray would freeze and not open. I had to remove the cover of the player to get the disk out, this happened on several Dvd's. I sent it back under warranty, if they send me a new one, It's going right to Ebay.

Purchased At:   PA