Samsung DVD-HD850 DVD Player DVD Players

Samsung's DVD-HD850 is a sleek, stylish DVD player designed for consumers who take their video seriously. It offers up-conversion to all high definition formats (720p/768p/1080i) and includes HDMI outputs for simple, single-cable connection of uncompressed digital video.

Submitted by MatrixDweller a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2006

Bottom Line:
I picked up this up-converting DVD player to compliment my Samsung HDTV. I like the minimalist styling on the front and the brushed silver face plate is visually appealing. The main reason why I chose this player over the others was the 850's SACD/HDCD support. I should have read the fine print however since in order to output SACD to your receiver requires you to hook up 6-channel out. It would have been nicer to have been able to pass it though the optical or coaxial out but what should I expect for $99. The up-conversion is nice although you must use the DVI out in order to achieve anything other than 480p. I tried the hacks but could not seem to get it to work over component video. Another quirk I found with this player was when fast forwarding if you hit play it would skip to the next scene on certain DVDs. I would recommend this player to someone looking for a cheap SACD player. For $99 you can't beat that value. I will be upgrading to a Denon model sometime in the future as the quality of the HD850 is not top notch.

Purchased At:   TigerDirect.ca