Samsung DVD 909 DVD Players

2.58/5 (12 Reviews) MSRP : $449.00

Submitted by mega max a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
a bad dvd player

Submitted by Rich a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
Ouch....If you actually want to watch an entire movie, stay away. Every DVD whether new, rented or used skips, freezes or just plain stops in its tracks. From what I see on the internet, these problems aren't limited to just their 909 model.

Submitted by suresh a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
Worst DVD player as far as skipping is concerned. Especially if you are using substandard DVDs which are not made to the same specs like most american DVDs. Also, rental DVDs skip like crazy. I watch lots of international films and invariably all of them skip after 1 hr of playing. A non working dvd is lot better than having to quit watching a movie after half way through. I sold it and bought myself a panasonic DVD with disc stabilize and progressive scan (2 things I learned that are good to have for bad DVDs). Also, I got this one with mp3 capable format.

Purchased At:   netmarket.com

Submitted by chad willette a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this player because I was in Korea and at the time it was the best DVD I could get. It was only one that had componet video output. For the first 12-18 months or so it worked perfectly except that it would not play my Matrix DVD. I later found out from Amazon.com customer service (when I returned the 2nd copy of the Matrix)that some DVDs have been reported to be incompatible with some DVD players. The Matrix and Samsung are among these.
After about 18 months it started freezing and skipping. I thought this was due to damaged retal DVDs, but it did the same with new DVDs. I've heard heat from an amp can cause this... but my Yamaha amp doesn't even get that warm.
Overall, there are better DVD players out there for less money. But if you really want one, I'll sell it to you for $100.

Purchased At:   Army PX in Korea

Submitted by Taeksoo Jeon a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this product relativly early when it was released in the market in 1999. So there was not enough souces that review it. I am an Korean and know that Samsung is the best electronic company in Korea. So I bought the DVD (909) with some trust and patriotism.
However, I am disappointed a lot. It produces many errors (skips, freezes) while playing. It's really annoying. At first, I thought discs or lense cleaning were the problems and I cleaned discs and lenses. Cleaning helps somewhat but wasn't able to cure it completely. So I have been using it with unsatisfaction. But I recently found in the internet that many users experienced the same problems and it was the DVD player itself that caused problems. Any Samsung web sites has told that the product had a problem and they have recalled it.

My warranty period already expired and it will probably cost a compatible price with a new one to fix it.

DON'T BUY ANY SAMSUNG PRODUCT until they really realized that they should make quality products in order not to be kicked their ass in the foreign markets.

MS 1400W: