Samsung DVD-909 DVD Players

2.94/5 (17 Reviews) MSRP : $449.00

A DVD/CD player with built-in Dolby Digital Decoder with DTS and 5.1 channel analog outputs

Submitted by Mark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have had this unit for a couple of years. The actual build quality is excelent compared to some other players, even ones that have better performance. However, I have had two problem one minor and one major. The minor problem I have is that sometimes (not always) it pauses for a second when switching layers on a dual layer disc. This is a minor gripe but for a unit that was supposed to be as good as this one, it shouldn't happen. Other than this the video quality is acutally very good.

Secondly, I purchased this model because it had a built in Dolby Digital decoder and my receiver is only digital ready and does not have a decoder. The subwoofer channel does not output all of the signal. It does output signal, but not the entire signal. You can hear it actually cut in and out. If you have small satellite speakers like I do, you lose all of the bass that would come out of your main channels if they were large. I sent it in for repairs while it was still under warranty. The repair man obviously did not understand the problem, because he said that it did pass a signal through that channel. Consequently, I ended up buying a separate digital decoder which cost me another $200(which was a good price).

Otherwise it works well. Mine is almost 2 years old and still plays well. I have not had most of the other problem that everyone else has had. Mine even plays the Matrix correctly which was the first test I gave it when I bought it.

Some of the problems described in other reviews of this player were common among other brands in this model year such as sony and pioneer. I would assume that all of these companies have fixed any problems that they may have had in their designs.

Submitted by Mirko Danilovic a

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
It worked good for 8 monts, after than it has started to digitalize picture. I though that it might be becaose usualy it used to happen with some of rentals and did not try to check it out, since after while it started working again. Last month it did not recognize DVD, I pooled it out and pushed back, it worked. After one year and two days it does not work at all, does not recognize any of my DVDs, CDs or whatever. Probably I am not going to call service since waranty has expired and it will probably cost more to fix it than to buy new one.

Submitted by Enrique Guzman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have watch many movies new releases mostly and had very little trouble the sometimes skiping of a few frames.Recently Scary movie wounldn't play what i did was right after the counter hits 0000 hit your top menu button on your remote and it will play. I enjoy my dvd player knock on woood till date i have not had problems. Well am about to buy some older dvds like young guns 1&2. I hope everything goes well. I would recommend this player to my friends.

Purchased At:   Canal stret

Submitted by yinong zhang a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is the worst DVD player, period. A month after I bought the player, it started to skip, freeze. Six months later, it can only play half of the DVDs I bought/rent. I've contacted Samsung many times but after the 'service' the problems were still there. Don't buy it, Don't buy it, Don't buy it!!!

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by david wassum a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2000

Bottom Line:
I purchased this product in May, 2000. I immediately noticed that many discs skipped several times while being viewed. Problems steadily grew worse. Occasionally movies would freeze up as if I had paused them, and they would not restart. Many discs would not play at all; the machine would spit out the disc and an error message would be displayed saying "this player will not play this disc." Once the picture collapsed into small squares and a loud noise was emmitted from my speakers nearly blowing them out. I brought the player to the nearest authorized repair facility (over 35 miles from my home!). They had it for five weeks, changing the laser pickup and the main PCB. Guess what? It still will not play. I called Samsung and they promised to send me information on returning the player to them for a replacement. As of today I have not received this information. I went out and bought a Sony DVP C650D which flawlessly plays all the discs which the Samsung would not. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!

Purchased At:   nationwide electronics