RCA RC5910P DVD Players

3.18/5 (11 Reviews) MSRP : $449.00

· 5-Disc DVD, Audio CD Changer · Plays all DVD, Audio CD, VCD and SVCD · Dolby Digital and DTS Compatible · 96 kHz 24-Bit Audio D/A · 10-Bit Video · Spatializer Surround Sound · Fully-Interactive Front Panel Display · Disc Exchange Feature · Component Video Outputs (Y, Pr, Pb) · Optical and Coaxial Digital Outputs · DVD/ Universal TV/ Audio Receiver Remote

Submitted by Chris a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
My player has been reasonably good, overall. It sometimes has trouble reading disks, but cleaning the disk usually fixes that.
I bought my player while on vacation, and then read the reviews when I got home, and just had to cross my fingers that there were no problems.
As is common with most older, 1 laser DVD players, there is a layering effect that occurrs when it plays DVDs, where it will pause for a second while the laser refocusses, and then keep going. That's annoying, and detracts from a movie watching experience, but doesn't ruin things entirely.
If I had been more informed at the time, I probably would have spent the extra $50 and bought the Pioneer at Best Buy instead, but now that I have it, I'm pretty satisfied with it.

Purchased At:   Walmart

Submitted by Tomas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
Excelent dvd player i have never had it in the shop or had any problems with it (i got the stuck dvd out myself). can take some time to load but other than that no problem. I playm it jsut about every day for 6 to 7 hours and thats from the day i bought it. Never had to clean the lense onnce

Purchased At:   Raido shack

Submitted by Amuzeme a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
Well, here i sit 4 months later, waiting for my FOURTH replacement unit!!!! This thing is the biggest piece of garbage i have EVER purchased. It is my first and DEFINITELY my last RCA product.
The original unit that i purchased played CD's fine, but skipped, froze and jittered it's way through almost ALL the DVD's. I returned this unit to Walmart for an exchange. The second one must have been dropped, kicked and beaten with a hammer...because it skipped on CD's and then stopped playing them altogether and also would play DVD's horribly. Still jittering, skipping and freezing. I went to return this piece of Garbage also, but Walmart was out and wouldn't be getting any in anytime soon. So i had to contact Thomson. After 3 weeks of them screwing around with my credit card information, I finally received my THIRD replacement unit from them. Took it out of the box, plugged it in and guess what???....wouldn't play CD's!!!!!!!!. It would sit there "Loading" then give me the message "No Disc" I tried about 15 different CD's in this thing. Cleaning the cd first, then cleaning the laser lens, but still nothing!!!!! After more than an hour on the phone (most of the time on hold)The Rep insisted that "This is a good product, we hardly ever get any complaints about it" "You must be using non-standard audio cd's in it" What the hell is a non-standard audio cd???? This thing advertises as being able to play damn near anything that you put in it, but won't play commercially bought, STANDARD audio cd's!!!!! Finally after their staunch position of "We don't issue refunds, and we have NO service people in your area" I agreed to accept ANOTHER replacement unit.
Stay AWAY from this product!!!!!!!! If i could give it 0 stars i would.

Purchased At:   Walmart

Submitted by George a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
Plays EVERYTHING, and I do mean everything - DVD, CD, CD-R, CD-RW. Also plays VCDs, SVCDs or EVEN CD-R/RWs recorded with MP3 files. Interestingly, the data sheet on the RCA site, as well as the demo units I've seen at RadioShack do NOT have the SVCD/MP3 capabilities. The unit I have had "MP3" printed on the box, the other units I have seen do not. Beats me, but I love the feature.
As I said, mine had MP3 emblazoned on the box (that's why I bought it), as well as on the carousel front panel. If the model you see in the store doesn't have this, it WON'T play the oddball stuff (MP3s or SVCDs) - I've tried a few tests in other stores.
Is it a PERFECT DVD player? Sonetimes takes a bit to load, and does stutter on dirty DVDs from time to time, but the "plays all" feature makes it a hell of a deal. I gave it 4 stars on value / 5 stars overall, because I haven't seen anything else that will play this much stuff.

Purchased At:   WalMart

Submitted by Amuzeme a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
This thing is HUGE!!!!....pulled it out of the box and couldn't believe the size. Had to knock out the back of my entertainment center to get it to fit. Now i wish i hadn't!!!!Bought this thing before i read the reviews...my bad!!!!!! It will play CD's fine, but put in a DVD and it becomes possessed!! Will play half the movie and then freeze...some DVD's it will not play at all....just sits there "loading"

Purchased At:   WalMart