RCA RC5240P DVD Player w Built In Dolby Digital Decoder DVD Players

3.38/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $269.00

It will feel like a trip to the theater, only without the long lines and sticky floors. With RCA DVD players, watching movies at home will never be the same. These players bring you the ultimate in picture quality, with over twice the definition of standard VHS, and CD quality sound. With the press of a button, you can view movies in a widescreen format, and in another language (with compatible discs). Plus, you can enjoy distortion-free special effects. And since the RCA DVD player is totally compatible with CDs, you can double your entertainment capabilities.

Submitted by Gurudutt Redkar a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
This DVD player is good , but its not reliable , for any kind of DVD if the DVD player finds a bad sector it hangs , this DVD player gave me a problem that it stopped recognizing the discs and then it was no use , even though it was in the warranty RCA guys asked me to pay 45$ and get a new one which I think speaks up for them , instaed of guaranteeing a repair they were asking me money to replace it.

Submitted by Blakeney Adams a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
What a junk pile. I can't even get it to play new DVD's. I so wanted to have a DVD plaier. Did I ever pick a lommon for my first time out. It is a POS. I put in a new DVD, for the first time ever, it play's for three or four min, and then quit. It has not plaied right from that time to now.

Purchased At:   Wal Mart, Mt Vernon

Submitted by Mark Kowaleski a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
Great value DVD player. I did a lot of research on this purchase becuase of all the mix & max features of the myriad of DVD players out there. Some don't play MP3, some don't play SVCD, etc. This one does it all. It is also the same size as my other audio equipment, unlike some of the units out there that look out of place because of their size.

Check out vcdhelp.com at http://www.vcdhelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDname=5240p&cdr=1&vcd=1&svcd=1&mp3=1&Search=Search&list=0

for a bunch of reviews on this unit as well as VCD/SVCD info.

Plays my DVD's great, picture is nice and clear (definitly an improvement over my hi-fi VCR). Disk loads and runs fast (almost as fast as my 16x DVD ROM drive on my PC). The DTX/Dolby sound seperation through the optical connection is awesome through my Yamaha HTR-5450 A/V receiver. I watched Rush Hour 2 on it and it just rocked. My TV is a 27" Samsung and only has composite video inputs but picture quality is good. My wife really likes the video and sound quality. During a typical movie there might be one little blip that lasts no more than a second. On Rush Hour 2, a particular blip was repeatable on my computer's DVD player. I think that many times a blip is caused by the compression algorithm used to make the DVD's MPEG2 file. If it is repeatable from DVD player to another, then I can only assume that the glitch is with the disc, not the player.

I like the feature of being able to enter a time and jumping right to that point in the movie - very cool. The fast forward is crystal clear, even at 8x. Pause feature is crystal clear.

It plays my homemade VCD and SVCD discs without a hitch (made with my Canon ZR30MC miniDV camera, StudioDV Ver 7, and Nero authoring software). It won't play mpeg files direct from disk like the Apex models will, but the Apex players had too many "issues" when I was trying them in the store. This RCA started right up, everytime, disk after disk, and format after format. The $300 Sony that I tried choked (audio out of sync with video) on my VCD when I fast forwarded it, but this RCA picked up without skipping a beat everytime.

Plays back my MP3 files just fine. Sound quality of audio CDs may be a notch down from my Sony CD player, but barely noticable.

The remote control is pretty easy to operate. It is a bit large (the largest and bulkiest by far in my growing collection) but the controls are actually layed out smartly. I think I only had to look at the book once to operate this unit. Very intuitive if you have had any experience at all with remotes. My Yamaha receiver's universal remote operates most of the unit's functions nicely.

Paid $149 at Target, but also sometimes available at Kmart and Radio Shack. Also, stay away from Circuit City and Best Buy for cables. I got a 6 foot optical cable for $12 at Target while Circuit City wanted $39 - what a rip off. All in all, this RCA 5240P is a great deal and a good value. I highly recommend this unit.

Purchased At:   Target

Submitted by MattH a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
The RCA unit has a decoding bug that makes solid colors breakup making the disc look heavily compressed when it's actually a cheap decoder chip inside the unit. When viewing the same scenes and discs on the same TV via component with the Pionner the flaws in the audio and video become apparent. The sound quality suffers from a high degree of noise and the unit also suffers from terrible pixel cropping which is 20 pixels off centre. The display is cramped especially with the title/chaper and time not separated so it's like deciphering a puzzle. The display also has a multi-color DVD logo animation that continues to play throughout the film making it distracting. A front dimmer would be nice. The play button has a nice blue glowing light which makes it reminescent of many Pioneer DVD players that have a blue light that changes to green for CD's.

Purchased At:   Future Shop

Submitted by 5hannon a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
The machine was a good deal and, along with NetFlix (I'm renting a ton of DVD movies without leaving my chair). Overall quality appears good, so for the price you cannot beat it!

Biggest complaint is the remote control. It's not intuitive and the buttons are all over the place (and I am familiar with 'clickers'). Also, the connector cables that came with the machine are CHEAP quality (thin, inexpensive).

Overall good quality sound and video output... Good deal for the price.

Purchased At:   K-Mart