RCA RC5223P DVD Players

4.67/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $349.00

Dolby Digital Bit Stream Output. Audio/Video Outputs (2 sets).

Submitted by Andrew B. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have had my 5233P for almost a year now (purchased in Sept '99) and it is still going strong. My wife and I really enjoy our home theater, and the 5223P has played well over a hundred movies over the past year without incident.

For an entry level DVD player I don't think you can beat the price, quality and reliability of this RCA unit. I was thrifty enough to get one for $180US online, which is about $270CDN, and far below the Canadian sale prices on a DVD player, even today!

Matched up with a Proscan 50" TV, Kenwood VR-3080 receiver and a full compliment of 5.1 Paradigm speakers it has been a best buy in our home. Highly recommended to those who are just getting into DVD's and want a player that is reasonably priced and has every thing you need without all the more expensive (and usually useless) bells and whistles.

Purchased At:   Online

Submitted by Frank a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2000

Bottom Line:
Well ,this is my first DVD player, so I don't have anything to compare the RCA with. I shopped around and was pleased to find the RCA RC5223P well within my price range. I have an RCA 32" TV so I liked the idea of having the two components matched.

I S-Video out to the TV, and the picture is very nice, a lot of depth and the stills are clean. Colors are rich and well balanced. I watch a lot of movies and this unit has yet to let me down. Sound is really good as well. I have it hooked up to my Kenwood VR 305 (Dolby Digital/Pro Logic) reciever, a good set of front and rear speakers, nice center channel and a great sub. It's crisp and clean and it delivers the goods. CD audio playback is also great.

The player has few features and the looks are plain but I'm not watching the player, right? I don't get off on a lot of buttons anyhow, just more to go wrong. A clean design speaks volumes over something that looks like the dashboard of a 747! This DVD player does what it was made to do, play DVD movies and CD audio, and it does it very well! I feel I got a very good value for the money I spent on the RCA RC5223P(Under $400). If you're looking for your first DVD player, go get this one. Don't let the salesman talk you up in price for a first time purchase.

System:
Kenwood VR-305 Reciever
RCA 32" TV
RCA RCA RC5223P DVD
Cerwin-Vega CC-250 Center CH
Yorkville YSM-1 Fronts (Studio Ref Monitors)
Yorkville YSM-4 Rears (Studio Ref Mon)
Yorkville PS110-P Powered Sub (Single 10" 200W)
Lots of good cables!

Submitted by Randy a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
I am very pleased with this unit. I played Matrix 4x this weekend, including all special feature stuff and lots of slo-mo on the really cool parts, with no problems. Paid only $199. (Which was less than I had ceen the RCA 5220 at which has no optical audio out or component video out!) Has played 7 or 8 other dvd's flawlessly and repeatedly. I was surprised to find out that Monster Component Video cables are $50.! But the picture is worth it- super clean. Dual RCA audio outs are nice (as I don't have optical technology yet) I send one set of RCA outs to tv input for variable sound control thru the tv control and other RCA out directly to amp for playing music CD's without using t.v. volume control. Also, dvd sound is slightly better if accessed directly through amp connection as opposed to thru variable t.v. control- it depends if I feel like messing with two remotes or not. It bugs my wife if I use more than one remote. (??) Great player for the money. I recommend it.

Submitted by larry reinke a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2000

Bottom Line:
even that this is a entry level dvd this is a great unit.i realize that this unit does not have the toys that the other dvd players have,witch by the way you should be watching the movie instead of playing with toys.this player does what it is supposed to do.put out a great picture and great sound-i watch a lot of rock concert video's-i have had no problems with this unit and is a good value for the money,i paid $215.00 for this player through ebay from vann's

Submitted by Blake a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2000

Bottom Line:
Purchased in early December/99 for $375 after rebates (which in Canada is a very cheap DVD player!). The 5220 could have been (and still can be had) for about $25 less, but I felt that was a fair price to pay to get the component
output even though I can't use it yet. I believe the remote is different than the 5220's as well, and although not perfect, I can live with this one.

Have connected with monster's top of the line S-video cable and adjusted TV (27 inch proscan) with Video Essentials and the picture quality is excellent. Run audio through my 2 channel system (which is pretty good) and am not interested in full blown home theatre as my room is fairly small, so the lack of a decoder was not a big drawback for me and cannot be found in this price range anyway.

Have played about 30 movies so far without any problems-no lip sync, no freezing, no glitches. Compared sound quality to my Arcam 8 CD player and was surprised that the RCA sounded as well as it did. Compared to the Arcam, the RCA sounds a bit congested and rolled off, not as lively, but this may also be due to cheaper interconnect that I have on the DVD player. The transport is somewhat noisy, but I have the player in a glass fronted TV stand, so this is not a big issue to me. I bought this thing to play movies and that's what it does very well. I'm sure there are better players out there, but at what price? Who knows where this technology will be in 5 years-right now it's progressive scan if you've got the money & the TV for it, but that might be obsolete in a few years too-maybe HD DVD will be all the rage then! For now this will do the job for me at a very reasonable price-Four stars overall-5 for value!