RCA 5510P DVD Players

3.15/5 (13 Reviews) MSRP : $599.00

RCA 5510P Single Disc Home DVD Player

Submitted by Steve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have had this player approaching two years and for the most part it has served me well. It gets a fair bit of use as DVD only player. I use the 6 channel out to my Technics SA-X6 and sounds fine. Remote is OK except not backlit and a bit awkwardly laid out. It does seem to have problem with some rental discs,around the 1 hour mark it tends to get picture breakup the locks up. I clean all my rental discs before play now and seems to work better. I hope to upgrade this player and move it to the bedroom. I currently am researching and excited by the new Panasonic RV80.

Purchased At:   the brick

Submitted by mislow micky a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
If i didnt complain at circuit city.com and tell them that on their web sight it had a 12/12 warranty i would have been screwed. But anyway they repaired it and told me that the 12/12 warranty was a mistake and this unit had a 3/12. Lets face it this unit is a lemon so my advice is to stay away from it because i have a bad feelin it will be in a dumpster somewhere in 2001 if not sooner

Purchased At:   circuit city

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2000

Bottom Line:
I would not advise buying this product, The first 2 months I had the unit it broke, customer service replaced it, now my second one 10 months later unit broke down again.
Now for the warranty I just do not get this after 90 days labor, they will replace the unit for 99 bucks. The replacment price is joke!!!!!! What labor is involved in mailing out a refurbished unit.

STAY AWAY RCA IS TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Submitted by David Grandt a

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is my first DVD purchase, and I found it on the internet for $249. That seemed a very good price for the features that this model includes. So far we've been very pleased with this DVD player and would recomend it if you are able to find it at a good competitive price.

We have had problems running some rented DVD titles on it though. THE OTHER SISTER and THE SPY WHO SHAGGED ME would not run proper. Sometimes they wouldn't even load up, and a message would display that read "THIS DISC IS INCOMPATIBLE".

THE MATRIX works fine on our unit. We've played it 100 times without a single glitch. I have no idea how these DVD players decide what movies they will and will not play.

Submitted by Tom a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought this player because it is exactly the same as the Panasonic A-310 and the Yamaha S-700 but is much less expensive (esp when compared to Yamaha). I had problems with it from day one, especially with rented discs, so I always assumed the problem was with the discs. After several months the unit finally refused to recognize any discs at all, even brand new ones that had never been viewed. When I contacted RCA they said it was past the 90 day warranty and they would fix it for a flat rate of $99.95. $99.95!?!?! They didn't offer to look at it first, they just wanted to charge me $100 flat fee! After months of phone calls and many letters back and forth to RCA I finally gave up. I refused to pay them $100 to fix something that was broken to begin with. How was I supposed to know it was a bad DVD player, not bad DVD discs? When a CD skips I don't go out and get a new CD player... Anyway, for the couple months it worked everything was fine and the picture quality was good (I would credit that to my TV and to DVD technology, NOT to the RCA unit). To sum it all up, no savings in cost is worth what I had to go through. So, the RCA ends up in the trashcan after 1 year of use (it hasn't worked for the last 7 months anyway) and I never buy an RCA product again. Buyer beware!

SFLAT: