Proscan PS8600P DVD Players

2.69/5 (13 Reviews) MSRP : $700.00

Submitted by Tony a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
I was talked out of purchasing my original choice--a Pioneer--by a Circuit City salesperson. Given that this unit broke after 7 to 10 plays, I'd never purchase another RCA product or make a purchase at Circuit City again.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Dave a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
The product gave "no disc" error after 5 plays. Tech support polite but not sympathetic. The unit was beyond the warranty period (in household goods storage for over one year) consequently stuck with the $149.00 for a refurbished unit. That would make this unit very expensive and I do not feel worth it. There are newer and better products available. Based on other reviews ProScan does not appear to have a good frequency of repair.
I am researching for a new DVD player and have found this sight to be most helpful as a source of first had information on many products. Keep up the good work.

Purchased At:   Bose Outlet Store

Submitted by Mike Downs a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
I wanted to post a follow up for this player.I have had it
for more than a year, and have had no problems with it.I had
one disk that cause the unit to hang up(the wild wild west)
but not all the time.The picture on this thing is great!
Just to pass on some info,I changed the S video cable.I was
using the monster S video that came with it,and never had
a complaint about the picture.I changed to cable to the AR
S-video cable.what a change!!!!! This cable was only 14.79
from A4L.com.

Submitted by David Grossman a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
I had to send my first unit back to the factory in exchange for a new one. It stopped playing discs altogether and this unit is not a unit that can be repaired at your local repair shop. The picture and audio quality are of course very good, but it does not want to play some CDR discs even though they are of the same manufacturer. It also seems to make a humming sound like so many other DVD players which at times during the quiet moments of a movie can be annoying. My Panasonic players have the same problem, although my Sony players are absolutely silent. So it has something to do with the design of these units. I haven't had any problems with this unit and it seems to play each disc without a problem. It does a good job of playing discs that are scratched as well which isn't something I can say for my Pansonic RV50, which has nothing but problems playing discs with just a mild scratch. So overall my experience with this Proscan 8600P has been very good.

Purchased At:   Audio Universe

Submitted by dan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
I not going to say that this is the best player just because I own one, but, I must admit, it is a very good dvd player.

I bought it because of the built in decoder, which is fantastic, the sound is distinct and crisp.
The picture is very good. Excellent color and contrast, extremely sharp.

Unlike other people who have submitted reviews, I haven't had one problem with this unit. Either I'm extremely lucky or you guys are extremely unlucky, either way, I am pleased with my purchase and am confident that this player will endure a lifetime, approximately 1 year in audiophile years.

Purchased At:   high end audio shop

FGH 26: