Proceed PMDT DVD Players

3.5/5 (18 Reviews)

Modular DVD/CD Transport

Submitted by DJB a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is my second review of this product. You can read my first review as it is still listed. It is now 03/04 and I have had the unit for several years. I have gone through an immense amount of pain with this unit, but like a man fully recovered from a car accident, the sun is shining again. I just recently got the unit back from Harman Specialty Group as Madrigal is no more. The unit works flawlessly now and what a joy! It has the best audio and video of any CD or DVD player I have tried. My unit has the PVP progressive scan card in it and it is connected to a Panasonic Tau HDTV that was calibrated. All I can say is that the picture looks fantastic and the audio is magnificent. The fact that I don't have SACD or DVD Audio capability is fine with me. The PMDT is linked to the AVP2 and they are a pair of performers. I have yet to hear SACD or DVD Audio that impresses me more than listening to a well recorded CD on my system with Revel Performa speakers. These Proceed products are discontinued so you should be able to get a very good deal on them if interested.

Purchased At:   Ensemble, NH

Submitted by twodurdens a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have owned the Proceed PMDT since December 2002, and I use the latest version 3 software. I purchased the PVP Progressive scan card option 30 days later. I also own the Pioneer Elite DV-09 (since dec 1999), using Modwright's transport ,cd/dvd player, and bybee filter modifications.

I own over 600 dvd titles, and have put them all through both units. I am also a member of netflix.com and have put another 150 of their rental dvd discs through th PMDT.

Only a very recent dvd title (steven speilberg's "Taken") completely refused to play in the PMDT. A few others have pixilated and either stopped, or continued to play. This is very annoying however, it has also happened with my pioneer elite, and with a 1st generation toshiba I had 1997 - 1999. Using the latest software the PMDT is very reliable however, not as reliable in reading disks as even a mid-fi unit. The sound & video quality is in a category of their own. Whether the standard setting video & audio is worth putting up with the mediocre disc reads is a personal choice. My choice was to keep my Pioneer Elite as a back-up in case the PMDT failed to read a disk. I had to use the pioneer only once to view "Taken"!

After using all the above units, I rate them as follows:

Reliability in reading disks -

M&K ss150 Rear L,R

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by John Thiele a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have owned the Proceed PMDT for the past year and a half, and have had a love-hate relationship with the unit from day one. It is one of the most beautiful looking and well-built DVD players on the market. However, as those who wrote before me, I have been plagued with "software issues" from day one, despite having the latest (12/02) upgrade offered by Madrigal. Basically, the unit will not a) recognize that a DVD or CD is in the tray, and/or b) will lock up and fail to open the disc drawer. As the salesman who sold it to me admitted, "It's a great unit when it works". And this is what you get for a retail price of $6,000.00. Shame on Madrigal for releasing such an unreliable product. The unit will be discontinued with elimination of the Proceed line. Someone make me an offer.

Purchased At:   Flanner's Audio & Vi

Submitted by pdube a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
Forget everything you've read about the PMDT so far. I've had a PMDT since December 2001, and I've seen some of the problems it had. They were all software problems.
Version 3.0 of the PMDT software is out. You should not judge the PMDT without V3. I am running V3 since Jan 2003 now, and it works so flawlessly that you can now concentrate really on
the movie and music without fearing that the image will break up or something. The different setups you can do with the software is so amazing you'll think other DVD players just have prehistoric software.

There is nothing bad I can say about the image quality or the sound. Just be assured that you'll get the greatest and finest picture you can get with DVD.

Of course, it's not a DVD for everybody considering its price. It's not the DVD player you'll connect to your 21 inches TV. If you're looking for the best or searching for this nifty little feature the PMDT has and the others do not, go ahead: go to your nearest dealer and have a look and listen to it for some time. It's really worth it in a home theater environment

Purchased At:   from a consumer, sli

Submitted by Richard Welch a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
So far so good. I needed a combined cd/dvd in one box to save space. I have the PMDT rack mounted and it works superbly alongside JBL's amazing Synthesis Two 7.1 Theatre System and Seleco's 900 data projector.

Picture and sound quality are both excellent. The problems outlined in previous reviews are mainly software orientated and regular upgrades to the latest versions should resolve them.

The PMDT is certainly not very forgiving when playing any disc of dubious or poor quality. Even the slightest hint of dust will generate the 'unrecognised disc' message. Normally a quick wipe or blow with an air brush remedies the problem.

Although I am a new owner of the PMDT (less than 6 months) I have fully researched its strengths and weaknesses. Clearly at this end of the market there should be no weaknesses at all but I remain convinced that this is one of the top ten machines currently available. Where this machine falls within the top ten is totally subjective and depends hugely on the equipment used with it.

Yes there are cheaper machines that do SOME of the jobs better. However, none of them, in my opinion, demonstrate the precision, flair and dynamic range of the PMDT.

At this end of the market the law of diminishing returns plays a huge role. However, if you want superb audio-visual quality and are prepared to shell out for it there are few one-box players capable of coming close!

Purchased At:   LinkMedia