Pioneer Elite DV-45A DVD Players

4.3/5 (33 Reviews) MSRP : $1029.95

DVD Audio, Multi-Channel SACD, DVD Video Player

Submitted by Poole Audio Video a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2007

Bottom Line:
I needed a multi-channel Super Audio player and an updated dvd player for display at my store for demonstrations. As a rule I do not purchase multi-disk units for display or personal use as they will break down over time. This unit is a single disk, as all of my other units. If you need nuts and bolts info on this unit go to www.pioneerelectronics.com.

Submitted by Leslie a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2006

Bottom Line:
If you want to upgrade from a wimpy budget unit this is a good choice. The ability to play both sacd and dvd-audio is where this player will attract customers. The video performance is alright for smaller screens, but the sound is the real winner. If only it had hdcd capability, and properly balanced sub outputs it would get a more enthusiastic review from me, personally.

Purchased At:   NBS

Submitted by Reticuli a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2004

Bottom Line:
Well, I actually own the DV-655A PX model, which is the foreign version of the Elite 45 but with all the proper bass management and with SACD capability installed. It's sold to US service personnel and was bought for me by my brother. I feel sorry for all of you who overpaid for the American market version that has bugs, just so it could say Eliet on the front. Mine has no bugs of any kind. At first I thought the sound was a tad bright, but I just bought some NHT ST4's and have been using my ER4S earphones with an amp. I can tell you it does an extraordinary job on CD's. Even NIN disks that I thought were bright and harsh now sound warm, transparent, and full bodied. It's not perfectly neutral (extra mid-bass and slightly extra highs), but it's very slight and tends to by welcome on a lot of music. Goldfrapp's Black Cherry album is so perfect sounding on this system. Beck in SACD sounds very good, with mids that sound frighteningly analog. Flaming Lips in DVD-Audio is startlingly transparent, and though a tad bright, it's never ever harsh. I'm fairly certain it was mixed that way. Why? Because Vespertine in DVD-Audio has the sort of warmth of The Fragile on this unit, but with unparalled transparency and resolution, and that's actually just a 24/48 recording. DTS on this unit sounds a lot like Paul Van Dyk's vinyl records through a Stanton 500AL II cart. Very dynamic, and thus requires more volume. A bit warm and bassy overall on DTS, but the transparency is there for the taking. Dolby Digital is extremely transparent without any extra warmth, though not as analog like as DTS. It does make up for it in a startling level of high frequency extension. Bjork's Volumen collection is excellent sounding in just DD. What I'm so surprised with is that all of you are saying these units are native DSD all the way through, with no conversion to PCM. I thought all the sub-$500 players converted it first. I honestly can't make a single complaint about this unit, then. For a while I thought it was producing a green caste, but that was actually my 30" widescreen TV that has since been fixed (though it is now slightly blue in the blacks, which the TV repair people apparently thought I was imagining...not the player's fault though). There was previously luma to chroma distortion, but that is common to a lot of units when using composite. When switching to component it totally went away. The interlaced jaggies on moving vertical high-contrast lines is still a problem, but that is a product of interlacing and would go away if my TV did progressive. You guys can actually find my type of unit on worldwideimports.com for about the price I paid.

Highly transparent, warm, non-dry sound. Great picture with fine focus feature if you want it. TRUE SACD. My unit doesn't have bass management problems.

MP3's actually sound good on this.

Haven't had any problems playing anything.

Can play Pal on plasma screens and Pal TV's.

Can be made region free (though cannot do Pal to NTSC conversion).

Audio images (like the size of the guitar or voice) are a bit larger than life, compared to the Denon DCM-370 (w/ mod). Also not quite the level of finesse and neutrality of that unit, but there is none of the gray scrim over the otherwise fine low-level resolution on the Denon, either. So it's a toss-up. Pioneer for electronic & produced rock, techno, and jazz CD's (like Reference Recordings). Denon for more acoustic rock and orchestra CD's. Some HDCD's actually sound better on the Pioneer. Beatles best of HDCD's, for instance. POD's Chinese HDCD of "Sleeping Awake" is missing some of the background synths on the Denon.

Can't zoom and play/slow-mo at the same time.

That other cheap Pioneer universal player sucks, by the way. We got one for my parents. Sounds Ok with SACDs, but bad on everything else. The 711 receiver sounds much better on CD,DD, and DTS. Better MP3 management and zooming on that other one, though.

Purchased At:   Navy PX

Submitted by recoveryone a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
I just pick up this unit this week and have gone through the basic setup. The multi play format was not as important as the progresive scan output and the built in DAC's (Burr Brown). I used Blackhawk Down (High Def transfer) and SPR (DTS)to conduct some quick in house test. Viewing BHD was a visual treat on my 55"WS Mit's HD ready. I could see the sweat coming out of the pores of Sgt Evermans face. The shot of the Blackhawk flying over the water is breath taking. Viewing SPR I was impress with the DAC's picking up minor sounds that I had missed, When Hanks is running on the beachhead I could hear him grunting with each breath. The real impressive part about that is that I had the volume lower than normal (-30) on my Pioneer Elite VSX 26TX. I usally listen at (-15-20) level. I am looking forward to re-playing other DVD's on this unit. From the reviews I have read most are very positive, but people fail to list what equipment they have connected to the unit that may enhance or degrade the output.

Mit,s 55805WS HD ready
Pioneer Elite VSX 26TX

Center Jensen CCS
L/R Optimus Pro LS3's
Rears Optimus X77's
Sub Optimus 200PSW

Submitted by dimoradiamond a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
I am updating a previous review I made concerning this unit. I have learned a lot about the unit in the past few months. There are many inaccuracies in the reviews on this site concerning this product. I intend for this to be the best review of this product, so I will be detailed: First of all, this unit DOES do bass management but not FULL bass management. You cannot choose crossover points for one, and secondly if you choose large for a speaker, NO INFORMATION from that speaker will be routed to the sub, regardless of frequency. It does have issues with 5.0 DVD-A mixes. If you have 3 hours to really learn what it does in detail concerning bass management...read this 9 page thread:

The high points are...1) Changing speaker sizes may not "stick" unless you press enter, not SETUP. Double check any changes you make. 2) In order to have bass management work well with most all speakers, you must set all speakers to SMALL and subwoofer to yes. If you choose large for the fronts, no bass information from the front mains well be routed to the sub, and your overall bass impact will suffer (Try Peter Gabriel's "
Shaking the Tree" two channel SACD mix for this demo).

3) The audio level settings require quite a mismatch to balance things out so they sound correct. Use an SPL meter (Radio Shack has them) and set a volume so you can shoot for around 75 Db...then you will see that your sub needs boosted +6dB, your mains may need cut 3.5-4.0 dB, and your surrounds / center may need cut up to 6 dB. Obviously this all depends on your speaker / amp choice, but in general most users find if zeroed out the unit lacks bass and is bright on the center and surrounds. Even using the SPL meter, you may find that you need a bit more bass when done.

4) If you are a videophile, this unit is weak. It suffers from CUE (Chroma Bug Error). Do a Google search on "Chroma Bug" and you will find this player is a serious offender. You can see jagged edges on the Monster's Inc. THX setup video demo on the grill of the red car...look for "stairsteps" and "Bleeding" of the edges of the diagonal parts of the car's grill. Yes, I checked mine, and it has CUE as well.

Overall, I think it is a good value for its ability to play DVD-A and SACD. I can tolerate it with CUE error, but if you have the money, drop the extra money and buy a Denon that plays both formats, has FULL bass management, and does not have CUE error. I will be upgrading when I can because of the CUE error.

Lastly, many audiophiles who own this player have chosen to use an Outlaw Audio ICBM bass management device to correct the shortcomings that Pioneer should have addressed when they claimed the unit had "full" bass management. Still, even with an ICBM, all Pioneer users will stuffer suffer from CUE.

Purchased At:   Hi Fi Buys / Tweeter