Pioneer DVL909 DVD Players

4.29/5 (21 Reviews) MSRP : $1275.00

Submitted by David a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2000

Bottom Line:
Here are some web sites I found that give you information on how to modify the Pioneer DVL-909 player. I do not condone that you do these mods nor do I take any responsibility for what you do to your own player.
I AM LISTING THEM FOR REFERENCE ONLY! http://www.twi.ch/~i7eberha/eng/superhack/909-91eng.htm
I hope this gives some of you the info you have been looking for.
See my first review on this unit below.
My system has changed to...
KV-32FV1 FD Trinitron WEGA 32"TV (Sony)
ONKYO TX-DS777 receiver
Pioneer RFD-1 RF demodulator
Sony SAT-A55 satellite receiver
JBL Speakers
Panasonic SVHS VCR

Purchased At:   SEARS

Submitted by Todd Babcock a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
Great combo player. Good player for someone who doesn't want to give up their LDs yet. Confident that it will read movies and not skip.

Would like to know how to upgrade to DVL 91 specs and upgrade firmware to get rid of lip-sink problems.

I bought mine on clearance for $345 -- nothing touches this player for that price.

Submitted by Scott Pickering a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have owned this play for over 1 1/2 years and I can say I'm glad I found it on sale. This player has the option to convert it to DVL-91 specs which includes DTS availabilty, and other options. Also you can over ride the macro vision (without using those black box video stablizers) and make the player code free. The picture from the player is great. I owned the old CLD-1080 laserdisc player and the picture is at least as good as it was with laserdiscs. The tray operation is much smoother and quieter than my old 1080, but when using DVDs its still rather slow. You have to wait quit a bit for a CD to load up before playing. On CD playback the sound can be rather harsh in the treble at times. Its overly bright. I'd recommend getting outboard D/A converters from a respectable high end dealer. Some CDs sound decent enough. I'm sure this is all due to the new 20 bit conversion this player has vs my old 1080s 20 bit conversion. That player had good sound and was not overly bright to my ears. On DVDs the picture quality is superb, but I can still see those blocky squares at times on some dark scenes on discs. Also when switching layers the pause is noticable and there is a break as a result. I can't wait to get the resistor parts to convert this player to the DVL-91. There isn't much of a difference between the 909 and 919 and for the price I went with the 909 on discount. Component out is a nice feature I hope to use one day.

Submitted by gene a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2000

Bottom Line:
i have had this unit for over a year now and love it each time i use it. Some of the complaints here are justified however some are unfounded. This machine is truly codefree as i have played region 2 disks while i was stationed in england. I have been able to record all my discs for friends (oops copywrite) without any problems. I guess maybe my machine is more versatile then those sold in the states. Anyway great job by pioneer.

Submitted by sam weiss a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 22, 1999

Bottom Line:
great player
amazing soung on movies- dont play musiv with it
looks like a very good dvd
i can compare it to other lds - it is by far one of the best i ever seen.

can someone help me and tell me how to make it macro free?

thanks