Pioneer DVL 90 DVD Players

2.79/5 (14 Reviews) MSRP : $1750.00

(See reviews)

Submitted by John Camp a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
Absolutely worst DVD player in the market

Submitted by DR a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
The big boy as usual deserves 5 stars.

Submitted by Hi-End guru a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2000

Bottom Line:
I replaced a Sony S559D with the DVL-90. What a diffrence. This unit is excelent. I am however still wondering if for half the price, the Sony-S7700 would be just as good. I have an all Sony setup, including the new TA-N9000S, & the TA-E9000ES. Both pieces are excelent, and coupled with the DVL-90..... Well words can't explain the sound. I am viewing on a 36" proscan via S=Video. I also purchased some Paradigm Monitors, which are awsom as well.

Submitted by Conrad Houston a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 7, 1999

Bottom Line:
People are confussing the DVL-90 & DVL-91 as the same product.The primary reason to buy a DVL-90 is to Watch LD & DVD movies. Using it as a
CD player is a waste of money. For movie watching nothing comes close to it
picture quality. Surround sound is Awesome. This unit was designed for VIDEOphiles primarily. As a CD transport is Top notch. Forget about all that
Legato Link bussines. Use a Quality DAC and you are ready to rock & roll.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Ryan a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 22, 1999

Bottom Line:
Well, since this is January 22, 1999, the chances of this posting being followed up is pretty slim. Still, I gotta try...
Reading through these articles, I get a common point: The DVL-91 sucks, go out and buy a CLD-99 and a separate DVD player. I find this somewhat funny, since I own the CLD-99 (since April '97), and quite frankly, it sucks. Oh, it doesn't suck all that much as an LD player (despite the LOUD mechanical noise), but as a CD player, it really bites. The sound quality (when it works) is fine, but there are just so many damn mechanical problems that come up when I'm trying to play a CD. First of all, there must be something wrong with the stabilizer because sometimes the first few tracks of a CD sound like they're bumping against something and the sound cuts in and out at 1/10th second intervals. Second, (and boy, is this a doozie), sometimes the sensor won't realize there's a CD in the machine, and when I open the drawer (which is supposed to be using the Direct CD tray), the whole damn LD tray opens up! Now, since the laser is in a DIFFERENT position than what it would be when playing something when Direct CD is OFF, when I close the door, the laser head tries to go back on its tracks too far, jams and gives me an "E3" error! I've had to take the machine in THREE times for that, and I know that on the fourth time I can get a replacement. Of course the question is, what to get? I certainly DON'T want anything else from Pioneer, so I hope that they'll give me in-store credit instead of a "closest thing to what your model was" type of replacement, which would unfortunately be the DVL-91.

So tell me, has anybody else had these types of problems with their CLD-99? (or any other Pioneer LD player, for that matter)

Thanks, guys!