Pioneer DVF 727 301 Disc Mega-Changer DVD Players

4.06/5 (51 Reviews) MSRP : $1100.00

300+1 DVD/CD changer with Dolby Digital/DTS - 10 Bit 27MHz Video DAC - Component, S-Video and Composite Video ouputs - Analog audio output - Coaxial and optical digital audio output

Submitted by drinkingbird a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
Very happy with this player until it got all jammed up one day on its own. Cleared it out and snapped the arm back in place (like others I've read, this seems somewhat common). Unfortunately it now does not load cds correctly, every 3 to 4 cds gets spit back out. Anyway, the only complaint about the unit it Pioneer's support of it. I dropped it off for service at Sears like Pioneer told me to, a month later I get it back "could not verify complaint" and they didn't repair it, still broken. I call Pioneer to try and have them send an exchange for it, they say no, and give me the name of another service center. I call them and they say 3 weeks just to GET to the unit, then another 2-3 to fix it, more if they need parts. Call Pioneer back, "you can ship it to this place in California, they are faster". At my expense of course, and I've already been without it for a month. Anyway, I'm now fighting with Sears to get them to replace the unit since their repair center messed up. Anyway, other than that, awesome unit, I could get a Sony to replace it from sears, but I'm willing to fight it out to get the better unit!

Purchased At:   Sears

Submitted by rg505 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
does every thing i wanted it to do, i already own the pioneer 301 cd player it is very similar, with some great features
the ability to plug in a key board to the front so you can input titles.i am using it with the pioneer vsx-d850s reciever and jbl speakers and sub woofer

Purchased At:   camerat pia

Submitted by ramivic a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
The Pioneer DV-F727 is a great machine. A strong workhorse compared to the Sony 200-301 disc jukeboxes, the Pioneer allows one to daisy chain and have up to 600 movies on one GUI. Sony can't do it. I purchased two players and discovered one cannot enable slave or master controls. I currently have both at the shop since I dont know which one is "not talking" to the other.

Purchased At:   eBay Auctions www.eb

Submitted by TakeFlight a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
I just purchased this product and received it this week. After setting it up and loading it with all 70 of my DVDs and proceeded to do the "all disc update" and it got to the 2nd disc and then jammed up. I had to take the unit apart with a screw driver to get my DVDs out. One of the DVDs (#2) was still in the play position and I had to fish it out. After getting all my DVDs I inspected the machine a noticed that the plastic arm that pulls the DVDs into the play position had jumped off of the roller that it's attached to. There is a plastic pin that goes into a track on the arm and that pin had skipped out of the track thereby rendering the machine useless. I was able to put the part back in place and put the machine back together. I then loaded all 70 of my DVDs again and this time I was able to do the "all disc update" with no problem. What was the difference this time you ask? I load balanced the tray. Instead of putting all 70 DVDs in a row on one side of the tray I skipped every 4 or 5 slots so that way the weight distribution would be equal all the way around. After doing this the machine has worked fine. Of course, I just fixed it last night so I will have to use it some more to see if it continues to work fine. I will write another review in a few weeks or so.

Other than the obvious mechanical problem that I had I have to say that the user interface on this machine is really good. It's too bad you are limited to only around 10 characters per title but other than that I really don't have any complaints with the GUI. Using a PS/2 keyboard to type in the titles was a great time saver.

Purchased At:   www.etronics.com

Submitted by Beat Stadelmann a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
I ordered the product over the internet. It was delivered in just a couple of days in perfect condition. The DVD player works with my digital audio system (5.1 surround sound).
All of my DVD from around the world PAL and NTSC as well as CD work great. The price is just unbeatable.

Purchased At:   http://electronicsdirect.com/