Pioneer DV-AX10 DVD Players

4.44/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $5999.00

· PureCinema Progressive Output · 10-bit Video Processing System w/ 54MHz Bandwidth · Automatic Jitter Adjustment · Component Frame DNR · Y/C Timing Adjustment · Dynamic Black Level Extension · Horizontal and Vertical Sharpness Control · Brightness and Contrast Controls · Color Saturation and Hue Controls · Viterbi Decoding Process

Submitted by jumbochang a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2006

Bottom Line:
It is a good product. The service is very bad. My unit was broken on May 2005, send back to dealer to get fix. Until now my unit still can't get fix. Bad bad service.

Purchased At:   audio excellence

Submitted by LTTONY a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
LIKE MANY REVIEWERS HERE,I WAS LOOKING FOR A SOURCE COMPONENT THAT COULD PLAY ALL FORMATS AND DO IT WITH OUT MAKING ME WANT TO TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT. THIS PLAYER HAS ACCOMPLISHED THAT QUEST. I AM USING THIS IN A TWO CHANNEL SYSTEM. IT IS CONNECTED TO A TV, BUT I SELDOM WATCH MOVIES ON THIS SETUP. I HAVE BEEN USING THIS PLAYER STRICTLY FOR AUDIO. IT IS STILL IN THE BREAK IN MODE. HOWEVER, IT'S PERFORMANCE THUS FAR HAS PROMPTED ME TO SELL OFF MOST OF MY ALL IN ONE CD PLAYERS, TO NAME A FEW, MUSICAL FIDELITY A3, ARCAM FMJ, EAD 2000, AND A CAL CL15. THIS PLAYER LEAVES NOTHING BEHIND IN ANY FORMAT THAT I HAVE AUDITIONED. TOTALLY REVEALING, ULTRA SMOOTH, EXPANSIVE SOUND STAGE, AND MICRO/MADRO DYNAMICS THAT ARE SIMPLY OUTSTANDING. WHEN I FIRST PURCHASED THIS PLAYER, I THOUGHT I WOULD RESELL IT FOR A QUICK PROFIT. BUT, MY CURIOSITY GOT THE BEST OF ME AND I UNPACKED IT AND HAVE NOT REGRETED IT FOR A SECOND. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR THE ULTIMATE ALL IN ONE, DIGITAL PLAYBACK, THIS IS AS GOOD AS IT GETS,AT LEAST FOR MY BUDGET. IN CASE YOU ARE WONDERING ABOUT THE PURCHASE PRICE? YES, I DID PURCHASE IT NEW, A STOCK FROM AN AUTHORIZED DEALER FOR THAT PRICE.

Purchased At:   MAGNOLIA HIFI

Submitted by Beneford a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
Now I have a pioneer AX-10, Philips SACD-1000, and Philips Q50.
For CD playback Q50 was the best.
For SACD playback Philips SACD-1000 was the best.
For Video backback Pioneer AX-10 was the best.
I also got SONY S-7000 but already sold,the video compare with AX-10, AX-10 still better.
Knowing that some DVD having DVI output get much better video playback, let wait to see.
I have no DAC,I only using the Audio Research tube pre-amp and power-amp, rogers 15 ohm speaker.May be another picture if I change a AV-amp.

Submitted by Onet a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have always wanted a statement player that will play everything. This one came and I was a disappointed with the SACD palyback. But then I was comparing it the $28,000 DD-100/DC-101 combo my friend has. I'm not as rich as my buddy so I settled for this. CD playback was compromised also due to being a jack-of-all-trade machine. But then I had my machine modified by MSB Technology and they put in a 24/192 output board and I mated this with MSB's Platinum DAC and it is audio nirvana! Owners of this machine-consider doing this if you are as much of an audiphile as a videophile. I tell you I do not miss my old Wadia transport and DAC! And since DSD is converted to PCM internally in the machine the Platinum DAC is able to decode the SACD. Well, not like Accuphase but close! And better than the true SACD Sony 9000 and 777ES, although the 777 can play multichannel SACD.

Submitted by Sunny Wong a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
There's a new player Q50 from Philips, which is made in Singapore claiming to beat Pioneer DV-AX10. What a simple and naive conclusion! Such results were report in Singapore and a few discussion forum in Hong Kong.

I personally have the Pioneer AX-10 and Philips Q50 to do a detailed comparison. I don't need to hear the faked results and message. I tell you what.

As far as audio part is concerned, Pioneer beat many expensive transport+DAC. Philips Q50 is nothing here. Giant (Pioneer) and child.

In DVD-V, Pioneer AX-10 won in 480i, s-video and composite outputs. Philips was no match with Pioneer. In 480p output, AX-10 won at least 95% of the time. Only when the DVD is weird will the Philips perform a bit better.

Perhaps most people are now poor in HK, they tend to praise cheap products a lot and even diseminate false information. The Philips machine has a poorly designed remote. It's slow in response and weird in button location. There's a lack of operating information on the panel, too.

Guys, look clearly what AX-10 is ----- thick and heavy chassis for resisting vibration, very high quality transformer and power supply, top class audio DAC and circuitry for best sound, unmatched experience and knowledge in video disc player, first class remote,.... Too many merits. Buy one to enjoy if you can afford.

Atlantic Technology :