Pioneer DV-37 DVD Players

4.65/5 (74 Reviews) MSRP : $1000.00

• 10-bit / 54MHz Video Signal DAC for high-quality DVD pictures
  • 3 Factory Video Settings (CRT / Projector / Professional)
  • 1 Component Video (Y, Cr, Cb) Output
  • 2 Analog Outputs

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by coolmonk a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
    In my honest opinion, I would have to say that the reviews on this player is a bit overrated. I have owned this player for a little over 4 months before upgrading to the Denon DVD-2900 (which is awesome in every aspect). People who say that the DV-37 produces the "best" picture obviously have not seen the higher-end players in action. Don't get me wrong, for the money..this DVD player is absolutely superb compared to others in the same price range ($200-$400); however, it lacks audio/video quality that one would expect from a DVD player that retailed for $1,000.

First off, let me state that I had the DV-37 hooked up to the 32" Sony HDTV KV-32HS510 and the Denon AVR-2803 receiver. The DV-37 performed well on both progressive and interlaced modes. One thing I did notice was that with progressive-scan on, when viewing DVD movies encoded at a lower framerate, you start seeing horizontal scanlines. This is really annoying because it makes you feel like you are watching a badly recorded VCD. Switching to interlaced mode fixes this but I absolutely hate watching DVDs in interlaced mode because of picture quality. Picture noise is really noticeable on this player in interlaced mode (and even with progressive-scan).

The setup menu is easy to navigate but the manual does not provide adequate information on what each setting does. Playing around with the picture adjustments for a week or so is necessary for optimal quality.

I know a lot of people say that the picture is film-like, but I disagree. The only player for under $1,000 that I have experienced first-hand that is capable of producing film-like picture is the Denon DVD-2900 and Denon DVD-2200. Pioneer's PureCinema Progressive technology just doesn't do justice if you're looking for smooth, fluid-motion pictures.

I guess for the price you can't really expect too much. I also forgot to mention that it does lack DVD-Audio and Super Audio CD capabilities. All-in-all, I'd say it's a good entry-level DVD player for home theatre..but nothing to get excited over.

Purchased At:   clubmac

Submitted by peschio a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
    I have owned this Pioneer Elite DV-37 for about a Year now. I am an avid DVD watcher and listen to alot of music. This unit is visually stunning in both interlaced and progressive scan modes, but the progressive scan mode with an HDTV connected with component video cables makes this player really shine. Set-up is simple and the manual is easy to understand. There are alot of options for color and picture managment, but I have to agree with others that not much direction is given on how to use them. You just have to screw with them until the picture quatity satisfies you. This player is for anyone looking for a high quality DVD player with the best picture and the best sound. You can now buy this player online for as little as $200 used to $400 new. at those prices, I can't see any reason to buy another player.

Purchased At:   Online

Submitted by cawgijoe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
    Picked this player up from PCMall for the price of $279 minus a mail-in $40 rebate which takes care of the shipping. It's a refurb. So far I'm very happy with it. Sound and picture quality are excellent. I was very confused at first with the video settings. The manual gives very little guidance when it comes to these. I ended up playing with them for an hour or so till I came up with what I felt were good settings. Does anyone have settings from a review somewhere they could share?
    Build quality is very good. Nice looking player. The remote is fine. Nothing special, but does what it's suppossed to.

Purchased At:   PCMall

Submitted by dirty red dog a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
    Great picture...Great Sound. The Best Damn DVD Player I have owned.

Purchased At:   Stereo One

Submitted by Jim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
    I have the Elite DV-38A (there is no post for it) which is almost the same machiene but adds DVD-A and THX certs. I think it's a great player the picture and audio quality are top notch.
    The only issue I have with my player is the LONG lag time while changing layers on a DVD. I have a $200 unit that does it in 1/3 the time. I have called Pioneer and they insist this is normal?

Purchased At:   web