Pioneer DV-05 DVD Players

4.38/5 (89 Reviews) MSRP : $1000.00

Elite DVD / CD Player, THX Certified

Submitted by Mark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is an update to my last post - the DV-05 has been back from the shop for about 2 months now. I have to say I am completely happy with its performance now. Turns out the shop had to replace the entire system board ($400 touch - good thing it was under warrantee).
Too bad I had the original troubles (I obviously had a bad unit) but now that there are new components inside the video/audio qualities are superb!!

Submitted by Mark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
I've had a mixed experience with my dv-05 player.
I've had it in the shop once for a tracking problem on dual layered DVDs. Turns out the mechanism was flawed so it was replaced. It was fine until just recently. Now the problem is in the picture quality. When the unit is 'cold' it works flawlessly. After a while, however, the picture quality begins to degrade. The trouble is the colour level - it rises to appalling levels, then it gets dark, then back again to normal. Rinse/repeat. I'll be taking it into the shop again this week to get it repaired. In the meantime I've been using my old DVL700 when my DV-05 acts up. The DVL700 which has *never* given me *any* trouble - but, of course is DTS-handicapped ;-)
Perhaps when my DV-05 is working for an extended period of time I will give it a higher rating - but, for now, I can't.

Submitted by tony donato a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
I got this unit for my bedroom system, only because the price was so great.I didnt expect it to perform this well.
I think it rivals my sony unit.
If you have a non-progressive tv and looking for the most bang for the buck, You cant miss.

PS I got it for 299.00 at world-exchange.com

Purchased At:   world-exchange.com

Submitted by June Song a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have ongoing love-hate relationship with this player. It all started when I pick one up at the local AV shop as an open box item. I coudn't resist the temptation because the price was $400. The moment I hooked it up with SONY 32XBR100 (which was THE best direct view TV before SONY Wega came along), I was in shock. I always thought the difference in performance between entry level DVD player and high end DVD player would be not that much. After all they are all one and zeores and they are using pretty much same chip to decode those one and zeroes. Boy, I was wrong.

Even 16:9 to 4:3 downconversion was pretty darn good. I used to have Toshiba 2109 and although picture was pretty sharp and you will be bothered by the downconversion artifact. I also had a chance to check entry level SONY (360) and I just coudn't stand their soft look. Sony would be fine if I hadn't seen picture of Toshiba, but once I noticed the differene the SOFT picture bother me too much. They were almost look like VHS (or slihgtly better than VHS but not so than LD).

So I was totally in love with the picture from Elite DV-05. Then it happened. I started to notice the tray noise. It is not loud for every single disc. Like I posted above it gets loud on several DVD, and once you notice that noise that is prety much everything that you hear from that moment on.

Make long story short, i have to return that unit because of tray noise. And I ended up buying another on ebay. This time I'm going to stuck it inside the cabinet with glass door. I tried to get by with SONY dvp360, but my eyes are already spoiled and I have to get THAT DARN GOOD Pioneer Elite dv-05. As far as picture quality, you won't find better one even from much expensive one.

So if you can get by with that tray noise, go out and get one.

Submitted by Mithat a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
This DVD turned my proscan TV 52 inc.(6 years old)almost like HDTV.It is amazing how much difference this DVD made on Picture quality and the sound.It is like day and night.I'm always a fan Pioneer Elite and I'm right so.This unit has a lot of futures you can set up as you like(Sound,picture, screen vs. vs.)
I don't think anyone here using this DV-05 can complain about anything for this great product (Unless they got damaged item)
trust me and get this DVD if you can find anymore.
P.S.I didn't here anything from DVD like noisy and yes it is very light.So what?Heavy means better?Just look at the picture and sound quality THX certified,and who cares it is only 6-7 pounds.
I don't get it!!!