Panasonic DVD RP56 DVD Players

3.57/5 (54 Reviews) MSRP : $299.95

- Progressive Scanning (480P) output for true-to-film picture playback of DVD movie discs.
- 54MHz/10-bit Video D/A Converter uses 54MHz oversampling to help bring out the amazing picture quality offered by our progressive-scan DVD players.
- A, B, C, D features for enhanced theater experience (Advanced Surround (V.S.S.), Bass Plus, Cinema Mode, Dialogue Enhancer).
- Advanced Surround (V.S.S.) allows for a remarkable surround sound effect even while only using the front two speakers.
- Bass Plus output allows for two channel setup that still provides a big home theater sound thanks to a discrete subwoofer output.
- Cinema Mode for cinema-like luminance and color with improved detail even in dark scenes.
- Dialogue Enhancer makes the dialogue channel clearly audible over the other sound channels.
- One Touch Cinema Memory lets you store your A, B, C, D function settings in memory for instant recall at the touch of a button.
- Disc Stabilizer for improved playabilit.
- Shuttle Dial Control on unit.
- Picture Control (Brightness, Color, Contrast, Sharpness).
- Switchable Component Video Out (480P/480I).
- Still Picture Display (I/P/B) freezes an image to allow for precise picture quality adjustments.
- Auto Switching Field/Frame Still for added versatility.
- Frame Advance (Forward & Reverse) for incredible control.
- Black Level Control.
- Optical Output for DTS & Dolby Digital Surround Sound allows for amazing home theater sound quality.
- 96kHz/24-bit Audio D/A Converter for outstanding sound quality.
- Dynamic Range Compression.
- CD-R/RW Playback.
- MP3 Playback.
- Twin Laser Pickup for DVD/CD playback.
- Chapter Preview helps to refresh your memory of a movie by showing you the first 3 seconds of each previously viewed chapter.
- Hi-Speed Smooth Motion Scan: 5 Speed up to x100 allows crystal clear scan quality while locating desired locations on a disc.
- On-Screen Menu Icons to help guide operation.
- Energy Star Compliant for low energy output.

Submitted by dochroch a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2005

Bottom Line:
I bought this used as an open box/ return at BestBuy. Boy, was *that* a mistake! Within four months, I developed severe pixelation problems, and back it went to the factory (under parts but not labor warranty)...so, it cost me $45 plus shipping to get it fixed...then Panasonic sent it back broken again, so I had to reship to Panasonic. What a pain! Since then (at least a year), it's been fine. In fact, except for having troubles reading moderately scratched disks, the player is flawless and delivers a great picture. In fact, when I A-to-B'ed the RP56 agains the new Denon 2910 with component out, the Panasonic was equally good.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by jkroha a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
Well am posting my first ever review as I come here to shops, bought based on good eary reviews here, well like many others at month 15-16 now and its fried, goes black screen randomly. I must be spoiled, all my other equipment is much older and fine, expected more, so off to research. Have bought 3 other panasonics for friends (diffrent models) hope they last longer! While it worked only annoiance was the delay on switching platters.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by bradglenn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
Sounds like I am luckier than most. Bought this unit almost two years ago with a pana 47 HD rear projection tv. Up until today, I have been raving about the picture quality. I do think it is the best picture I have seen from a dvd player under 400. But today, got the dreaded ho2 error message. Any of you that have been able to fix this on your own, please email glenngarbage@sbcglobal.net Thanks

Purchased At:   frys

Submitted by Julio a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
I've had my player for about 3 years now and have not experienced any trouble. Picture quality seems good and the features of the player seem to be comprehensive and well thought out.

Submitted by lockman a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
I'm also a little confused about the mixed reviews. Since I recently bought a Mitsubishi 46" widescreen HDTV I figured I owed it to myself to at least upgrade to a progressive scan player. After seeing a shootout of several palyers in a high end video magazine I decided on this player.

This replaced a Toshiba player that did not have progressive scan. The Toshiba (not sure of what model, but I bought it when DVD players came down to the $500 level) had an exceptional picture quality.

I don't think the picture is as sharp with the Panasonic, that is my only complaint. It meets or exceeds my expectations in every other area, in fact I am now using it as a stand alone transport for CD use teamed with a CI Audio DAC and upgraded powesupply it is giving me good enough sound quality to allow me to sell my $3,000 Cary CD 303/100 player that I was also using as a transport.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

FS: Yamaha CDC-585, NAD C370, Panasonic DVD-RP56, Adcom GTP-500

Redoing my system a bit and these things have to go. Yamaha CDC-585: 5 disc CD changer. I bought it because it was one of the quicker and quieter units I could find. Sound quality from it is very good. Works perfectly, 9/10 cosmetically. I have the original remote, manual, and box. Asking $85 p ... Read More »

FGH 26: