Panasonic DVD-CV51 DVD Players

3.56/5 (18 Reviews) MSRP : $220.77

Submitted by Lorens a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2005

Bottom Line:
Have used it to play some mp3 cd's, sometimes i has had problems, but that might be to my own fault. the picture quality is awesome. Took this dvd and connected it to my mom's 25 year old tv (via vcr). Cheaper dvd players tended to have a distored image unless using an RF modulator. This one had no such problem. Not crazy about the disc skip function when i want to change the cd, and the fast forward feature could be a little better, as well as the remote sensing.

Purchased At:   J and R

Submitted by pirate94 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2004

Bottom Line:
Please take my advice and don't buy this DVD player. It has been nothing but a headache. I bought it 3 years ago, and it was in need of repairs within 6 months. It is now 3 years later, I have seen the dreaded "H02 Error" more times than I care to mention, and the motor has gone bad. The current repairs cost more than a new DVD player, so I am chucking it in the garbage. I wasted $40 on the estimate. What a money pit! I am EXTREMELY dissatisfied with this product, and want no one else to make this mistake and plow a bunch of money into something that you are going to pay as much to repair and then just replace within a few years.
I thought I might be the only one, and then I went online and looked up the error code, and all that I found was HUNDREADS of dissatisfied customers with the same issues with all models of Panasonic DVD players - STAY AWAY!!!!!!!

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by rich416 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 29, 2004

Bottom Line:
Worth the price but nothing more.

I was pretty happy with this unit for the 29 months that it lived with me. Wish it supported WMA playback. Never had a problem with the MP3 playback as some seem to have had here. MP3's never failed to play. replaced it with an Onkyo CP-701. Onkyo doesn't seem to have the same audio quality as the ol' Panasonic and I plan on returning the unit.

I did use this unit almost every day since I bought it so, in all fairness, I can't really say that I feel as if it died prematurely.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Kris K a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
The unit has been a real lemon. I bought and was shocked on how loud it was. It sounded broken, which it eventually became after watching a handful of dvds.

I had it serviced at Panasonic's repair center. They replaced the laser arm (I paid for labor and their warranty covered parts).

Unfortunately, even after it had been repaired, the dvd was incredibly loud and slow. In addition, the carousel sometimes didn't work and would actually 'eat' dvds.

Panasonic has terrible build quality. :(
It slow and I loose dvds in the carousel. Definitely a lemon.

They

Purchased At:   Howards

Submitted by rthall a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought this unit initially as a 5 disc music cd changer, but it has proven to be excellent for its dvd, mp3, and vcd capabilities. I haven't had a playback problem as decribed in previous reviews. My receiver can decode the optical signal from the dvd player, so unlike those whom do not have a decoder, I can enjoy dts and dobly digital signals. The cd loading is slow, but I am patient so it is not an issue. The picture is super clear (coax) which makes me wish I had a larger tv (i have a 21 inch). It has s-video out and component video out which is great for those who have tv's that support these formats. Controlling the unit can be a little exhausting. It takes 3 steps or so just to get the unit to play in random mode. This unit is excellent for the price that was paid for it, and does more than I need. But what it all comes down to is the sound and picture quality which this unit certainly does not lack.

Purchased At:   Radio Shack (CV-52)

TARA LABS: