Panasonic DVD-CV50 DVD Players

3.63/5 (40 Reviews) MSRP : $399.00

5 disc DVD changer

Submitted by survmen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
Very frustrating DVD/CD player. Within the first year skipping,pixalating. Brought it back under warranty, they replaced the optical unit. Worked sporadically after that, same problems. Since then I have started putting PC's together so I Figured I would take the hood off and see what I could see. The optical unit, which includes a motor to turn the cd and another motor to run the eye across the cd don't seem to work in concert. Something is amiss, after reading some reviews and the prices paid I wonder if the optics were replaced. Panasonic wants 92$ for a new one. I feel like tossing it overboard, I feel as if I've been taken.

Purchased At:   P.C RICHARD

Submitted by Jennifer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
Terrible!! This is the worst piece of junk I've had the frustration of dealing with.
My first dvd player - what a joke. It's left a bad taste in my mouth about dvds.
It worked fine for the first 5 movies or so - no problems. Now it won't read discs,
the picture breaks up, it freezes, screen goes black, sound goes out, etc -
during EVERY movie! Every single one! If it will even play it. Sometimes I can
get a movie to play if I sit for 15 minutes and fiddle with changing discs,
opening and closing the player, turning it on and off - eventually it all of a sudden
"sees" the disc it's been telling me it won't play for the past 15 minutes.

I've read other reviews about this product that have the same complaints.
Panasonic is less than helpful in resolving the issue - I guess they figure I should
just throw it away and buy another.

Never can I watch one movie all the way through. It's impossible. I usually end up
stopping and restarting the movie so I can get 30 seconds more (IF lucky) play
before it buggers up again - turning it all the way off and back on don't help either.

Awful! Awful! AWFUL!! Don't waste your money.

I'd give this a big ZERO if it were an option.

Submitted by Joe Public a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
As with others in this review section, I had the same problems with this DVD player. It often does not recognize valid DVD disks, it freezes at the end of most DVDs after 1 year. When I took it to be repaired the repair shop said that most of the Panasonics had these problems. I would **NOT** recommend and Panasonic DVD players, especially this one.

Purchased At:   Fingerhut

Submitted by Stephen Allard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
The system shows great quality in cabinetry, easy to use and read buttons, and great features for the ($170.00)money. The unit is listed for $399.00, yet can be found alot less, for the price I paid, it is a great DVD player, for the first time buyer as well as an up grade unit. Although the technology is moving fast and leaning towards firewire, an upgrade is without doudt a future move for me. For now this is a great buy, a great DVD, and lots of quality to boot. I have always had great success with panasonic products and they seem to last for ever, while all my Sony products I have purchased seemed to be of quality yet they never held up over a period of time. This unit has a great picture and with out doudt a 5 star product for the couch potato to the stock holder.

Purchased At:   Duke and slims

Submitted by Rick Hendrix a

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
The unit is an ok unit but I wonder if there isn't better out there. From day one, the unit had problems playing DVDs. Usually, the picture would start to break up during playback and the picture would freeze. Eventually, I'd have to turn the player off and back on to reset it. Also, the player will routinely have problems detecting a DVD andy eventually say the disk is unreadable. I've tried cleaning it with CD/DVD cleaners, etc. with no luck. I have several friends who have other brands of players and none of them have had problems as numerous as I've had with this player. Probably 30% of my DVDs had problems playing. The CD side was fine, although the was an extended pause while the unit was "Reading 00---" the disk each time a new CD was played. I no longer have the unit and am looking for a new one (NOT PANASONIC)

CSB 1206 BLK: