Panasonic DVD A110 DVD Players

2.88/5 (256 Reviews) MSRP : $300.00

DVD Player with DTS decoding

Submitted by Darel a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2007

Bottom Line:
I bought this player after Stereophile named it one of their best budget players. Got it in 1998 and after almost 10 years now it's still going strong. Only replacing it because my wife lost the remote and a new one from remotes.com is $53. I have been nothing short of impressed with this player. Picture is tight and crisp and the audio on my all-vandersteen system is nothing short of awesome. After 9 years and three cross-country moves, and daily use (hey, I have kids) it works awesome and I will be truly sad to put it up on the shelf. No problems to report, no "no disc" error, but in the last couple months sometimes it plays in black-and-white. A smack on the side of the case fixes that. After nearly 10 years of literally, daily use I have no complaints about that - this DVD player has gone above and beyond and it can be allowed a few slips in its' old age. Paople marvel at my high-end audio equipment and the Panasonic DVD but this is definitely a budget player with high-end qualities. Only complaint is a long delay when swapping overlap, longer than most players.

Purchased At:   AAFES

Submitted by LF a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
As with so many others, my Panasonic DVD A110 started breaking down after 4 years of regular use. Prior to that, it worked beautifully. At first whenever the picture would pixellate I thought it was the DVD disc that was faulty, but when I tested it on other DVD players (Sony, Toshiba), they played back just fine. This problem only happened once in a while so my tendency was to just ignore it. However in it's 5th year, things got a lot worse and it would often pixellate, freeze and hang on almost anything I played. Finally, last week the death knell sounded when I got the dreaded NO DISC error message. I tried everything from unplugging it overnight, to re-initializing it all to no avail.

Since I paid so much for it, I wasn't about to give up on it without a fight, so I did some investigating and found this AMAZING site! Long story short, I called Panasonic Canada and spoke to the Customer Service Manager and told him about the problems I was having with my player. I also told him about this site which has documented literally hundreds of complaints throughout North America about this particular DVD player. I was expecting to get a lot of resistance and denial since it was 5 years old and long past its warranty, but surprisingly and fortunately he knew about the problems with this model and the notoriously faulty optical laser pick up. In fact, he mentioned to me that there was actually a lawsuit against Panasonic in the US over the DVD A110, but that apparently not a lot of the faulty players made it into Canada. Not sure how accurate that statement is, since I am obviously not the only Canadian who's had a lemon like this. He told me to bring it in to their service centre (no receipt necessary) for a free analysis and if the problem was indeed a faulty optical laser pick up, the protocol was to replace the player with a brand new one at no cost to me. There was no option to repair the old player since the replacement parts are apparently no longer being manufactured.

I brought my player in last Friday afternoon, and on Monday morning I received a call back telling me to come in and pick up my new DVD player (Panasonic DVD-S35)! There is even a one year warranty on the new machine, which I thought was really decent of them. I was astounded at the speed of their response and the professionalism and honesty of the Customer Service Manager.

So, despite the problems with this player, Panasonic has redeemed themselves in my eyes by responding as well as they did. If you're having the same problems with this player -- DON'T GIVE UP! Call Panasonic and try to get them to replace your faulty player! It's definitely worth a shot and you really have nothing to lose. We all paid good $$ for this player and simply want what we paid for - no more, no less.

I'm not sure if I would have gotten my DVD player replaced if it had broken down, say, 2 years ago, but since that time the complaints have been mounting so I think all the evidence definitely helped me in my situation (since I printed out a good chunk of the complaints from this site and included them in the box when I dropped off my player for analysis.) Thanks to all the people who took the time to post their experiences -- this is a great example of what strong consumer advocacy can do!

Purchased At:   Kromer Radio, Toront

Submitted by Brandon J a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
Great DVD player . I have had it for about 3 years now and havent had any problems . It shows great and sounds excellent on my surround sound system . I enjoy movie after movie with no freezing or skipping . (even on some of my slightly scratched CD's )

Purchased At:   open-boxed at Best B

Submitted by mike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
After 5 yrs of great performance I got the no disk error. Im trying to pursue the same course as the rest of unhappy buyers.

Purchased At:   px

Submitted by headplant a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
About two months ago, I started getting the NO DISC error. Like everyone here, I assumed it was either a faulty or dirty disc. I really only probably watched about 50 movies in the entire time I have had the player, which doesn't say much about the device. The quality, when it worked, was great. But seeing 50 movies on a $300 device doesn't work out too well for me, does it? It cost more for the device than the rental!

DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE.