Panasonic DMR-E85H DVD Players

1.5/5 (2 Reviews) MSRP : $508.00

• DVD-RAM/DVD-R recorder with built-in 120 GB hard drive
  • Time Slip lets you watch from the beginning of a program whose recording is still in progress
  • Plays DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, DVD-R, DVD-RAM, VCD, music CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs, and MP3 CDs
  • 32x high-speed recording from hard drive to DVD-R; 24x high-speed recording from hard disk to RAM
  • Progressive-scan video output for filmlike images on high-definition and HD-ready TVs

Submitted by amcm a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2005

Bottom Line:
I have had my unit for a year now.
Everything has been working well except for programing from the TV guide feature.
Programs just keep disappearing, which makes it necessary to check whatever you are recording daily to ensure that it will be recording.

Purchased At:   Buydig.com

Submitted by jhenderson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2005

Bottom Line:
Avoid this product. I purchased my Panasonic DVD Recorder in December 2004, and it started failing by March 2005. The first to go was the units ability to turn on and go directly to the TV Guide channel. That was correctable by setting an option to go to last channel. However, as of early July, the unit will no longer respond to it's own remote.

The unit comes with many great features, however I've always felt that features are best when they actually operate! This machine fails miserably. In fact, Circuit City no longer even sells this line of DVR's, as no doubt they've heard of the performance levels.

I would have been a very satisfied customer if the company had been more accomodating when I originally complained about the product. Unfortunately, they best they would offer for a product that cost $500, but to point me in the direction of a local service center, where they may opt to replace my unit with another refurbished unit. Not an acceptable answer. For a company that I grew up believing made an excellent series of products, I'm disappointed to see the type of quality this organization is willing to produce and flood the market with. Needless to say, I have purchased my last Panasonic product of any type. No longer will I throw good money after bad!

Purchased At:   Circuit City