Panasonic DVD-A310
Description: DVD/CD player with Dolby Digital decoder - Optical and coaxial digital audio outputs - Dolby DTS compatible

Submitted by dandean a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
Hoo boy! I didn't realize that I've been lucky enough to have dodged a bullet. I had no idea that this DVD player was emeshed in all kinds of legal wrangling, and that folks everywhere have had all kinds of technical problems with their A310.

I'm happy to report that I've never had a single technical glitch with mine (knock on wood) since I bought it at a PX in Germany a few yers back. The video's been fine, and the audio reproduction has been perfect. It bothers me to read how many others have had horror stories associated with this machine, and it only makes me feel lucky to have acquired a healthy, functioning unit!

I don't want to rock the boat here, but if your machine worked as promised, it really is a very nice unit. I'm now considering the purchase of a second DVD player, and I think I'm going to play it safe and buy a Denon unit I've had my eye on

Purchased At:   PX

Submitted by Paul Stafford a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
Here is my story: I bought it from MW broken on their crap rack for $100. At the time, the new ones were selling for $450! I took it home and called the Panasonic repair center on Monday. I took it down there and dropped it off. Within 4 days it was repaired and has worked perfect ever since! The only problem I ever had with it is that it only plays "certain" CD-R's. But they never said it would play CD-R's anyway so I didn't think this was a failure on their part. I am rough with my equipment and I am surprised that there are so many bad statements about this player.

Purchased At:   Montgomery Wards

Submitted by Tim a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
Oh my God, if I could only have found this page sooner. I have sent this POS back to Best Buy 4 (they say it's only been 3) times for repairs for the same problems. Heavy pixalation (tiling) freezes, no disc, and they just keep giving me the runaround. Luckily, I got the 4 yr PSP plan. The only problem is, everytime I send it out, all they do is a PSP cleaning. Seems like the techs at Best Buy would know there is a problem with this player, and fix it. I think they are just trying to get the PSP out of the way, without doing anything about it. Well, now I know, and something will be done about it.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by ALESSANDRA MALLOZZI a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2002

Bottom Line:
I NEVER REALLY USED IT THAT MUCH AND ALL OF SUDDEN IT DOESNT READ ALL DVD'S. NEW OR OLD IT READS SOME AND NOT ALL. ALL IT SAYS IS NO DISC. THANK GOD IT WAS A GIFT.
NOW I CAN'T EVEN FIND A PLACE TO FIX IT AND PANASONIC IS NO HELP AT ALL.

Submitted by MOCKINGBIRD a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought this player in 98 right after they came out. At the time I didn't own any nae DVD's and played mostly rentals for quite awhile. It started locking up or just stopping or pixelating. I thought this may be due to the rental DVD's since I could remove and clean them and they would play fine. Finally the problems got to be too much and I took it in to Best Buy for repairs. To shorten a long story....after having it sent in for repairs it failed a fourth time and Best Buy honored their no lemon policy and I exchanged it for a Sony. I've had very good luck with Panasonic/Technics for several years but this was a real failure and I don't think Panasonic has enhanced their image at all with the way they've dealt (ignored) with this player. I could have exchanged for another Panasonic DVD player but knew I would be just waiting for the problem again.

Purchased At:   BEST BUY