Oppo Digital OPDV971H DVD Players

Improve the picture quality of DVD movies shown on your high-definition television with the versatile OPPO Digital OPDV971H DVD player, which provides 480p/540p/576p/720p/1080i resolutions and can upconvert 480i video from DVDs to the high definition 720p/1080i formats. Featuring a slim and elegant design, it featurs a sleek, silver design that will fit in nicely the rest of your home theater's components. In addition to standard DVD move and CD audio discs, it's also compatible with DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, (S)VCD, HDCD, and CD-R/RW discs as well as WMA and JPEG digital content. It also plays DivX 5, DivX 4, DivX 3, and DivX VOD video content (in compliance with DivX Certified technical requirements).

Submitted by Denti a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2008

Bottom Line:
What a disappointment!
After reading all these great reviews about OPPO products, I finally decided to buy one. It was suppose to be an upgrade from my Denon player.
The DV-971 is just a really bad product. It looked cheap, fell cheap and then when when I plugged the image was just so poor quality. Grainy......very grainy; black was so black that grey just didn't exist anymore. And I won’t talk about the colors.
I don't know how OPPO built a reputation with so poor products.
The only this that was better than the Denon was the DAC which doesn't really matter if using a digital receiver.
If you look at what you get for the money, at 199$ msrp, the OPPO player is just a bad value.
Don't ever trust the press reviews!
I'm usually an easy going customer, but not on this one.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by wmpearl a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2007

Bottom Line:
The Oppo 971H up-converting DVD player is one of the best investments I have made in electronic equipment. What it does to enhance a standard DVD disc is almost magical - you don't need to get an HD unit, just buy one of these Oppos.

Purchased At:   Oppo website

Submitted by Rotorheadff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2006

Bottom Line:
I bought this player in May of 2005 and had been looking for an upconverting player since January of 05. Looking at different makes and models that ranged in price from $500-$1500. There were some nice players I almost bought but they all had one little thing that kept me from buying. Some would have macroblocking issuses, others would have the croma bug that the next firmware was suppose to fix, and others had to much of a pause on layer changes. Then by chance my bother in-law turned me on to the Home theater and high fidelity DVD benchmark review. And that's where I found the in on this little diamond in the rough and from the review and it being only $199 I took a chance and boy was I glad. This player has worked flawlessly for me for over a year and a half upcoverting to 1080i thru DVI output and the picture has been astonishing makes me want to watch DVD's all the time. Then just the other day I turned it on and it had a green screen and would not go away so I call OPPO digital and talked to a real person that gave me a few suggestions. I tried them but no luck so they confirmed my e-mail address and shipped me a RMA shipping label to send it back to be repaired and told me that they have a 24hr turn around policy so I would have it back in about a week. I was impressed so that's what brought me to write this review. With a player that performed as well as this one has with none of the other issues I saw continuously with other player and to have a speedy customer service if something has gone wrong. I can only say that I personally I would spend the $199 on this player and recommend it to anyone who is looking to buy an upconverting DVD player.

Purchased At:   Oppo Digital