Onkyo DV-S535 DVD Players

• Coaxial and Optical Digital Audio Output

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by djquickae a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
    I have waited almost more than a year to write something about this player 'cause I wanted the reader i.e. you, to get the best possible value out of your purchase and I think I've waited long enough to write and tell you that this is real value for money even though I seem to have bought this player for more than some people have bought it for. I guess thats the problem living in this part of the world. Anyways I bought this player after going through this site and the comments of people who have bought this player. I think you should too!!. Great vibrant colors and lovely sound!. Lacks analog 5.1 output, progressive scan technology and RCE decoding but I think someone who is seriously into home theatre would already own a receiver/amplifier which would have the decoders built in!. Onkyo should probably think about progressive scans and RCE decoding though!. All in all a wonderful player which is still running great!!.

Purchased At:   Modern Elect.

Submitted by Ken Wells a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
    I purchased this DVD player because it fit my budget and was an Onkyo. I had already bought an Onkyo surround receiver, and it sounded great. Onkyo has a great reputation in the stereo world, so why not stay with success. I am very satisfied. I cannot hear the DVD player during movies, the sound and picture are great, the operation is pretty simple. My only complaint is that the remote is small, with even smaller buttons, does not match any other remote in the world, let alone the room, and is not back-lit; which makes it very difficult to adjust if you are watching movies with the lights off.

Purchased At:   hifi.com

Submitted by Anton a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
    I have a week trial for this player. I love zoom feature, good stereo sound and picture. But sadly I have to turn it back because it can not read most of my CD-R, CD-RW and some RCE DVDs.
    I live on region 3 dvd zone, but most of my dvds collection are from region 1. With Pioneer, I found no trouble in 'eating' any kind of disc.

Submitted by Frank Carter a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
    I bought this DVD player to replace my Panasonic mentioned above. I thought I would notice a little difference but I didn't think it would put the Panasonic to shame. I was blown away with the quality especially at the price I got it for($109 refurbished). The colors are deeper and richer than my Panasonic and it also has a clearer picture. I also did sound quality comparison with this unit and my Yamaha CDC-505 cd player and this thing sounded much smoother and warmer, with more low end. You won't find a better DVD player around it's normal price range or even double it's normal price. My only problem with the unit is that it doesn't play my burned CD's but I still give it 5 stars for it's expemplary performance.

Purchased At:   www.ubid.com

Submitted by David a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
    I think the Onkyo DV-S535 player is a very good player, unfortunately, I can't compare with others used by me, but I knew of some others brands that have problems with some DVD discs.

I'm happy with my player, but I want to know if it is multizone or not. I have seen in some places that it is, but on the player documentation say not.

Atlantic Technology :