Onkyo DV-M301 DVD Players

4.13/5 (15 Reviews) MSRP : $950.00

301-Disc DVD/CD Mega-Changer

Submitted by Andy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
Well, I finally got a real job and was finally able to upgrade my system. One of the first upgrades was this Onkyo DV-M301 changer. I primarily use this component to play CD's, and to that end I have been very impressed. Compared to my old Technicls SL-MC4 changer, this one really blew me away by allowing me to hear considerably more detail with a vastly improved sound stage. I could literally discover new dimensions to CDs that I had already been listening to for years.

Also, while I already had a DVD player, this unit proved superior on the video end as well. The resolution was surpisingly clear despite having less impressive DAC's than some newer models. As expected, the sound was exceptional as well.

Now that these models are older and the prices are coming down, I definately taking a look

Purchased At:   half.com

Submitted by Jon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have been interested in purchasing this unit ever since I saw how handy my friend's Pioneer Elite 301 disc player was to use. The players seem virtually identical with the minor excpetion that the readouts on the Onkyo are green and match the rest of my component readout colors as opposed to the Pioneer amber color. The price was higher than the Pioneer for seemingly no other reason other than the fact that it was an Onkyo product, so I held off until I found a good deal on Ubid. The player is very large but extremely handy and fun to use. The menus are helpful and easy to work, although it only allows for 12 characters when labeling discs. It also seems to override what I have labeled with what the disc is pre-coded for, which is annoying. So for example, disc 2 of Almost Famous is titled "Untitled" and reverts back to this over the "Almost Famous" label that I had tried to replace it with. This is annoying. The remote control looks cheap but is fairly well laid out and easy to use. The machine itself is very quick when skipping from disc to disc and it is really nice not to have to get up every time I want to change a disc. The single disc slot for rentals and such has handy buttons on the face of the player that make accessing it very simple. Good picture and sound quality as well and the initial set up menu is quick and easy. All in all, a good purchase.

My set up:
Playstation2

Purchased At:   Ubid

Submitted by Bob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
I've used the unit for several months now and am pleased with the purchase. I would buy it again if i had to. Its great to only have to touch your dvd's and cd's once.

Purchased At:   ubid.com

Submitted by Jeffery Holt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is the first Onkyo product I have purchased. So far I am very happy. It is very easy to use. The onscreen menu is a very nice feature. Being able to use a keyboard REALLY helps out. I have no problems with the remote at all.

I listen to a wide variety of music, everything sounds incredible and is very well refined. I now know what I have been missing from my music. I hear more little details than before from my old cd player (kenwood200 disk). I am currently running it with a lowend ($150) kenwood that only has prologic. I am waiting for the 797 to come out so this juke box can really shine.

I also watch a wide variety of DVD's Me Myself and Irene cooked my old panisonic. It now just says "NO DISK". When it was working, I thought the picture was very good, but it is nothing compared to this. No hesitations at all. the picture is very crisp and clean.

I purchased this unit to replace my cd 200disk cd change and my broken dvd player. In money alone, I broke even, but I am now on a whole different planet as far as quallity goes.

In closing, I would recommend this play to blind man for the music alone. It just happens to be an added bonus that the picture is as good as the sound.

my setup(dont laugh):

front L/R RT55i
sub PSW-350
rear f/x300i (bipole)

goodbye.
PS. BUY IT, You wont regrete it!!

Purchased At:   Sight and Sound

Submitted by Michael a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have thouroughly enjoyed the player in the moth that I've had it. The menu could be slightly more intuitive though. My only real complaint is that the remote is not compatable with my other Onkyo equipment.

Purchased At:   Ebay