Nakamichi DVD-10 DVD Players

3.6/5 (40 Reviews) MSRP : $799.00

Single Disc DVD/CD Player - Dolby Digital - Dolby DTS compatible - 96kHz/24-bit audio DACs - 10-bit video DACs

Submitted by phaserevoxfreak a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
For the money the Nak dvd-15 is an excellent buy. I do feel that Nak may have shortchanged the consumer when engineering it's display as it is difficult to read.

Submitted by Chas Underhay a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2003

Bottom Line:
Audio enthusiast is not really accurate, more music enthusiast, audio is a tool for a job. Anyway that moan out of the way
I was interested to note that many people have also had problems with the slow reading of DVDs and CDs. I would also agree that the Nakamichi DVD10s tends to be a bit finicky about what it plays but I have often traced this to being due to dirt even on new discs scratches scratches on old discs.

Not withstanding the above gripes, I consider the overall audio and video performance is very good.

When my wife and I went to audition the Naka the dealer thought the sound quality would be on a par with a £350 CD player. we asked the dealer to set up both players and a good £600 CD player so as to see what we would be loosing out on. The truth is that we never even listened to the £350 player because the Naka walked all over the £600 player.

A mate of mine is upset because his £800 CD player doesn't sound as good and doesn't play films either.

We listen mostly to LPs and for years wouldn't have a CD player in the house and apart from the quirks this is a good product.

We dont use the gimicks and toys so we can't comment

Purchased At:   P J HIFI Guildford S

Submitted by roberto350z a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
I got a great deal on the Nak. DVD 10-s If it were retail price, then Id be upset. Yes the player has its eccentricities demonstrating Nakamichis total inabiliy to progress and develop new products. The tray is slow and mindnumbing to watch, reading discs gives you enough time to mix a martini and find the remote in the couch cushions and switching between CD's and DVD's is about as tempermental as a spoiled brat, but once all that is in order I find that I have a top performing product on my hands. Others reviewing this product who have payed full retail will be harsh in scoring the NAk. Since I payed so little for it, Im actually excited I have it and love it. See its strenghts below to find out why I scored the player so high despite its terrible functional craftmanship.

Purchased At:   sound company

Submitted by ra8488 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
Review for DVD-15

First let me say, in the past I thought the word Nakamichi meant true quality. I guess times have changed. I bought this DVD player by name alone, and without ever seeing one in person. The player was MSRP at around $1200 and I thought I was getting a GREAT deal.

This unit is extremely noisy. As discs revolve, there is a constant knocking coming from the motor. When playing discs, it gets very hot. You can’t load a disc while another is playing. For the $$$, you should be able to get progressive scan. Not crazy about the onscreen controls for music cd’s.

I had to send the unit in to repair the laser and was somewhat satisfied with customer service but at a MSRP of $1200, I think it should last longer than half a year. Once I got the unit back, it still made lots of noise and runs hot.

Bottom line, this thing has flaws galore and if I knew then what I know now, I absolutely would not have gotten this. There are other players for less $$$ that are equivalent or better.

I learned a huge lesson with this purchase!

Purchased At:   UBid

Submitted by indofunk a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
I agree with last few reviewers. WHAT HAPPENED TO NAKAMICHI''''s QUALITY? A quality built but there are so many interface glitches. I am sorry I got it. Should get another Panasonic RP91 instead, an excellent unit. For $250, I rate 1 or 2 stars...

Purchased At:   ubid.com