NAD T550 DVD Players

3.95/5 (56 Reviews)

The NAD T550 is the product many NAD owners have been waiting for — a high-performance, full-featured DVD player with NAD's "Music First" sound quality as well as superb video resolution. Its built-in Dolby Digital decoder means that it can be used with our T750 5.1-capable receiver and other electronics with 5.1 inputs. It is DTS-compatible.

Submitted by Chris Wooloff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
This player is superb, I have nothing but praise for this machine. Great quality music CD playback and great DVD playback quality aswell. I can't see myself getting another DVD or CD player for a long time.

Submitted by Adrian McCall a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
My NAD T550 has been back and forth to NAD ever since I purchased the unit. It has suffered from appalling lip-sync problems. It has received firmware upgrades, a new main PCB and a new mechanism. Nothing cures the problem. NAD have finally admitted that the player is not capable of playing "modern" DVDs because its design is too old. This is not something I would expect from a company I once regarded as a premium manufacturer.

Submitted by Brian Larman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
The sound quality on this player is simply incredible. The clarity is remarkable, and with my Linn Keosas I can hear new parts of the music that weren't there on a cheaper player.

At first I was dismaymed that it didn't play CD-R's, but I soon found that it worked with CD-RW's, every brand I tried too. The ones I use mainly are Memorex, and the 550 has no trouble reading them.

I'm waiting for the NAD guy to come to my retailer to get the latest software upgrades, but that's precautionary only. I've never had any problems with unsuported DVD's.

The only problem I have with the player is the message that appears when multiple angle scenes begin and end. There appears to be no way to correct this, and I'm considering bribing the NAD guy to "reprogram" this feature... It doesn't happen with all movies, but it's annoying when you're watching widescreen on a 27" TV.

I can attest to this unit's performance first hand, having seen it with casing apart play a CD so scratched that it would not play on any other CD player in the store.

Purchased At:   Better Music

Submitted by Colin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
When first bought I was not impressed as the player had awful video synch problems however this was fixed under warranty. I believe NAD modified the power supply and updated the internal software which cured the problem. Despite a basic spec the picture and sound is stunning. I have seen friends DVD players but do not come close to the NAD.

Submitted by joe a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2002

Bottom Line:
this is a great dvd player. i keep reading reviews about this dvd player being slow, i might be a little slow to load, but not bad at all. this dvd player is build great and looks beautiful. the video and audio quality is outstanding and that's what counts the most. i also keep seeing that some people dont like the remote, let me tell you this is one of the nicest remotes ive ever seen. it is very high-end quality which might not work well with those who are used to using cheap products. everything about this dvd player is great.

Purchased At:   AV concepts