Mitsubishi DD 8020 DVD Players

3.8/5 (5 Reviews)

The DD-8020 provides the excellent DVD picture performance using its True Progressive scan (480p) output with precise digital 3:2 pulldown. Compatible with most HDTV monitors, progressive scan capability achieves a more detailed and stable picture by scanning the entire TV screen continuously from top to bottom at twice the normal rate. The DD-8020 creates its progressive scan output with a state-of-the-art 54 MHz video processor, providing improved detail and edge clarity, especially from film-based content. It also includes a a six-channel analog audio output, which allows its built-in Dolby Digital and DVD-Audio processors to connect directly to AV receivers with six discrete inputs. This allows the DD-8020 to play the DVD-Audio discs, which provide a level of audio quality previously available only in recording studios. When playing DVD-Audio discs, noise levels and distortion are so low that they are nearly immeasurable. The DD-8020 also allows the user to zoom in on any part of the picture.

Submitted by Eric a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
I do not work for or represent Mists or any reseller, I don’t work in the audio/video field. I’ve read the reviews so far and I’m very confused.

I’ve had the 8020 for about a year now and outstanding performance continues. The detail in the picture on my HX56 Panny projection is great (480p HD color matrix). The digital audio is outstanding through my Denon 3803. The build quality of the unit is also outstanding.

I find the ability to select the surround output at the touch of a single button extremely useful. The 8020 will show a drop down menu that lists all the standards (Dolby 5.1 English, DTS…) that the DVD in the player supports.

Using the Avia DVD and video setup memory of the 8020 a calibrated setup can be memorized and recalled very quickly.

The zoom feature of the 8020 lets me watch wide screen DVD in default wide screen or zoom the picture to prevent bar burn-in on my RSPTV.

All considered I’m very satisfied with the 8020 and would recommend it to anyone that asked. I do have a two suggestion though: But the unit from an authorized Mits dealer and if you get confused call the dealer and ask.

Although I found the setup and use of the 8020 easy some may be confused by multitude of settings and choices.

Submitted by Elizabeth Gibson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought this DVD player because I believed at the time it to be a well rounded machine, and of a high quality. The audio quality was sufficient - nothing spectacular, but it did the job. My gripe about this unit was it's inability to play VCDs and SVCDs.

Purchased At:   Circut City

Submitted by daveplewis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
I love this DVD player. Progressive scan looks amazing on my 65" HDTV. DVD Audio quality sounds great using the analog outs to my denon reciever(although I have nothing else to compare it to). Menu's are easy to use.

Purchased At:   The Good Guys

Submitted by Biggg_a a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have read Eric's review and have come to the conclusion that it was written by a either a mfgr representative or someone working directly for Mitsubishi, not just an enthusiast. His review sounds like it was taken straight from the sales literature. Based on my experience with product quality and service, my advice is to BUY SOMETHING ELSE! I bought the product as soon as it hit the shelf and used it extensively during the end of November and December. I took it to the store where purchased for service when the read heads crapped out, and they were unable to get it serviced at the centers recommended by Mitsu.

Purchased At:   Audio Express

Submitted by Eric a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
I’ve come to expect outstanding quality from Mitsubishi and the 8020 delivers. The true 480p of the 8020 results in a artifact free picture. The clarity and detail in the video is outstanding. The full range of audio connection on the back provides everything else you will need.

Atlantic Technology: