Marantz DVD-930 DVD Players

4.38/5 (16 Reviews) MSRP : $849.00

Home Theater DVD Player with DD 5.1 Decoding

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to my earlier review. I just want the DVD930 owners to know the software upgrade will fix there problems playing the newer DVD's. My dealer sent the player back to Marantz for the upgrade. Since then I have played many new DVD's without incedent, including the problem DVD's mentioned in earlier reviews. If you are having problems playing some of the newer DVD's I reccomend having your dealer send your unit in to Marantz for an upgrade. There was no cost to me and the player performs flawlessly now. I have no additional info on the upgrade.

Submitted by Andy a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
Great overall player makes a good transport as well. If you have had one for awhile you might need to update your software.

Purchased At:   Audio Advice Cary NC

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
I used this player for almost 2 years without any problems. The picture and sound are top notch (sounds awsome with a Marantz SR8000). For those of you without a decoder in your receiver, the built in decoder works very well. I have not experienced problems with rental discs, the player seems to read scratched discs reasonably well. The Marantz 930 handles both Dolby 5.1 and DTS flawlessly.

Recently I ran into problems running the newer DVD's i.e. Gladiator,Abyss 2nd disc, Perfect Storm etc... Because of this I had to change my rating from a 5 to a 4.

After talking to Marantz and my dealer I ended up sending the player back in to Marantz for a software upgrade. Marantz told me this upgrade will fix the problem.

I sent it back on 11-28-00. The upgrade should take approx. 3 weeks. Email me at the above address if you are interested in the outcome, and I will let you know if it worked.

Submitted by Matt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have been very happy with the player until recently, when I tried to play some of the very new DVDs such as Gladiator, Mission Impossible 2, and The Perfect Storm and they would not play. I have never had any problems until recently, and still have no problems playing older DVDs. If anyone finds a solution to this problem, please post a review.

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
I thought this was a great machine until today. I thought it excelled both in audio and video reproduction for the price. I was stunned when it wouldn't except the gladiator DVD I just purchased. Considering it is a region 1 NTSC DVD
this should not be. I was so surprised I went out and bought another copy, but this did not solve the problem. It
is unfortunate, but this has adversely impacted my impression of this DVD player...it simply fails to meet its specifications.

Purchased At:   Harvey Electronics