Marantz DV6400 DVD Players

4.71/5 (7 Reviews) MSRP : $469.00

• Progressive scan component video output
  • 3:2 pulldown Audio EX mode
  • Full function remote control
  • Parental Lock

Submitted by Joe Mueller a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2005

Bottom Line:
Had a fairly new Sony DVD player which never worked right, skipped and went dark in the middle of almost every DVD.
This one plays DVD a and V, SACD's and has a great picture and sound quality, never skipped once and these are the same Rock concerts that Sony did not play well.

Purchased At:   Cambridge Soundworks

Submitted by kenqc a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2004

Bottom Line:
SACD, DVD-A, CD, DVD-V plus other formats and for only $550? This is a bargain if I have ever seen such a thing. The DVD video is a huge upgrade over my aging RCA. The blacks were blacker, the colors were more vivid and the scenes exploded to life.

SACD playback is why you would buy this player. Anyone that doesn't think that SACD kicks CD butt is not from this world. I have 2 SACD disks that I have just purchased. Playing the SACD side by side with the CD versions make you realize that CD was a step down from Analog whereas SACD is closing the gap with the superior analog.

I have yet to try DVD-A, but will soon after the holidays.

To sum up, we have a top notch DVD player, a great SACD player, an average or better CD player (its only minor weakness), a DVD-A player, and a player that plays a myriad of other formats for a bargain basement price. I hardily recommend this item.

Purchased At:   The Soundworks

Submitted by elnos a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2004

Bottom Line:
I bought this unit as a replacement for my cheap Sony DVP-NS415, and I am very glad I did; the difference is incredible.
The picture quality from the Marantz is much higher than the Sony, so much so that I discovered I had a defective Component Video cable. Because the video output on the Marantz was of much higher quality, I was able to see how the defective cable had been distorting the picture. The Sony showed no difference at all between Composite, S-Video, and Component Video. But, I suppose maybe that is the case when you go from a low end product to mid-range product.
Also, I found that the Marantz sent a much cleaner digital signal to my Yamaha receiver. I can hear things in movie soundtracks that I never knew were there.

As for the SACD playback, I was very impressed at how much nicer the SACD format sounds when compared to CD. My first test was with Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. Not only was the sound much cleaner and warmer, but the 5.1 mix gives you a completely new experience. I then listened to some Bob Dylan and David Bowie and found that they also sounded much nicer.
Unfortunately I have yet to test the DVD-A playback. I have been unable to find anything I want on DVD-A.

The only negative aspect of the Marantz is the Owner's Manual. It is poorly organized, and a bit confusing. Also, the remote could use a redesign.

Purchased At:   HNE

Submitted by Arnold a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2004

Bottom Line:
Needed a new player to replace my 13 year old Denon. Got the advice to listen to the Marantz. The sound for normal CD is very good, I like to openess and crisp quality. I think it's got pretty good staging as well.

The videoplayback is fine as far as I can tell, although it is a bit slow on the layerchange.

The real surprise for me was that SACD is only played back via the analog 5.1 outputs on the DV6400. I have a setup where I use a PM7200 for stereo playback (so 2 interlinks running from DV6400 via analog 2 CHN output to 7200) and a Yamaha DSP-E800 for surround (1 digital interlink from DV6400 to Yamaha and 2 analog from Yamaha to PM7200). Now I need another *6* interlinks from the DV6400 to the Yamaha to playback SACD.

Purchased At:   Olie en Olie

Submitted by ccbm3 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2004

Bottom Line:
Seems nice enough to me, I like that it can play SACD and DVD-A, you can really here the difference. The problem that I have found in this model is that during DVD movie playback when there is a scene change there is a pause in the video that is kind of long, it is not the end of the world but it is kind of annoying, It also seems that the DVD-A menu system is incompatible with certain DVD-A disc, Makes wierd noises and video is kind of choppy, does not do it when listening to content though, So say as before, not the end of the world but kind of annoying, beyond those two complaints it is very nice. Metal finish on front looks good and it has a 6 channel output which is cool.

Purchased At:   CSW

Denon 2900 and Marantz DV6400?

And as long as I am posting, I have been looking at one of the new universal SACD, DVD-A, DVD, CD players. Anyone A/B compare sound and video for the Denon 2900 and Marantz DV6400? Any others that might be worth researching? I am not a big fan of Pioneer and the Sony's don't play DVD-A although I ... Read More »

Marantz DV6400, any comments?

Anybody have any experience with this player? Thinking about taking the plunge and getting a higher end CD player that also does DVD-A and SACD and the Marantz fits the bill for what I'm looking for. Any thoughts on it?Read More »

Marantz DV6400: Transport noise?

I bought a DV6400 a little over a month ago. I love the sound and the video performance, and it has recieved nothing but great reviews as far as I've seen (Sound &Vision gushed over it in the current issue, April '04). The only thing I don't like about it is the transport is LOUD. If I hit pause ... Read More »

Marantz dv6400 or Pioneer dv563 Heard it??

Has anyone heard the Marantz dv600 universal player?? How does it sound?? How about the new Pioneer dv -563??? (looks cheap, but I heard it sounds great) In the Market for SACD and DVD audio player.... looking to get a player that also plays CD's with great sound. THANKSRead More »

PANAMAX: