Marantz DV-3100 DVD Players

3.57/5 (23 Reviews) MSRP : $550.00

Video CD, CD-R DVD Video and CD playback

Submitted by mikehoare a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2006

Bottom Line:
I have owned this player for over 4 years now, and for the most part it has been excellent. Great sound and picture, though the sound is of greater importance for my usage (mostly CDs). I have experienced some of the annoying characteristics described by the other users here, (slow loading, and occasionally skipping/sticking). The skipping and sticking problem seems mostly due to oversensitivity to scratches or dirt on the disc, which can of course be minimised by cleaning before loading. More annoyingly i have found a few DVDs that will only play in black and white. This cannot be a zone issue as the discs were also local issue here in Australia. I have played some bought from the UK also with no problem. It was mooted to me by a friend who has the same unit, that his had that problem, which was changing some setting related to Copyright Protection on the disc. I sent it back to marantz, and they could come up with nothing (comments in customer service section). I haven't persued it because it was previously on rented discs, but now i have bought THe Kids Are Alright" special edition by the Who, and despite the retro appropriateness on the 60s material, would love to see it in colour!! Has anyone else encountered this?

Purchased At:   Sound and VIsion

Submitted by C Nixon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
As with many others here, I must admit that at first the unit worked fine and delivered exceptional video and audio however, it began to skip and freeze I received a marantz 4300 as a replacement because marantz could not fix the problem with the 3100

Purchased At:   tropical video

Submitted by Chris Collins a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have read the reviews here and must add i have never had any troubles with skipping, however, i do find it takes long to load. This is a small price to pay for the quality of picture and sound received. I will add that a friend has a dvd player that has equivalent quality, loads remarkably quicker, BUT cost him three times as much.

Purchased At:   Ritcher Sounds

Submitted by dave_93_98 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have had this unit for slightly more than 1 year. At first it worked exceptionally well. However, it gradually began to freeze and skip on more and more movies (including new dvds). I sent the unit back through a local company to Marantz and it was returned 2 months later with the same problems. I plan on contacting Marantz directly and will post a follow up if their customer service handles this professionally. I also own a Marantz receiver (SR7000) that I am very happy with.

Purchased At:   StereoLand

Submitted by Hish a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent DVD/CD player for the price. Although most people on thie site are correct about the slowness of loading, I have yet to have any problem with CD's/DVD's skipping during play. Everything I put in works fine. The picture is so much better than my old Pioneer, it isn't even funny! CD music is just as beautiful. Very detailed with slight emphasis on bass. All and all, if you can live with the slower loading times, you won't be disappointed.

Purchased At:   Audio 5.1