Kenwood Sovereign DV-5050M 400-Disc DVD Video Changer DVD Players

1.57/5 (7 Reviews) MSRP : $899.95

Submitted by Dusty a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2003

Bottom Line:
Pretty much a piece of Junk. I'm suprised that Kenwood still sells this crap. I find it difficult to believe that the system has the ability to read CD Tag information but not DVD's. Kenwood is trying to force the consumer to buy more hardware just to read the DVD Tags.

Every time you turn the system on it starts playing what ever CD it was playing last. Hey Kenwood I didn't hit the play button yet. Some CD's block functions so even STOP will not work until the CD lets you. Now I have to watch 5 minutes of Disney before it will take a stop command. If it autoplayed in a single disk player OK but not a 400 disk.

The NetNamer software that allows you to name CD's and DVD's has so many bugs its almost unuseable. I've had Netnamer for a long time and still not one bug fix has come out of kenwood. I sent 15 (FIFTEEN) emails to tech support and NEVER got anything but an automatic reply saying they got the message. There is NO phone number for support on Kenwoods WEB site. I will NEVER buy Kenwood equipment again.

Good luck in bankruptcy Kenwood.

Purchased At:   Crutchfield

Submitted by Mark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
A great idea, but needs lots of improvments from Kenwood. Recently, when on random play, it only plays every other cd. Long layer changes when watching DVD's, freezes the action for a couple of seconds. The NetNamer software is terrible, and no support or upgrades for Kenwood. I will sell this unit, and try to find something that works!

Purchased At:   Military Exchange

Submitted by drinkingbird a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is my second review. Basically the quality of the unit (sound/video/build) is great but I have come across a ton of various bugs. Hopefully kenwood will at some point offer a firmware update to fix some of these.

Submitted by dustinm a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
This thing sucks ! After 2 days of tring to get the netnamer software to work I called there customer service just to find out it doesn't work with dvd's and that if I want to label my dvd's I have to get the Entre Entertaiment Hub if I want to be able to load all my dvd's and be able to locate them.

Purchased At:   Crazy Eddie

Submitted by Ben a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
I own a Kenwood Sovereign DV-5050M. I purchased because of the jukebox (400 CDs) capability and the support for DVD and mp3 formats. It sounds fine and mechanically there's no problem but the interfaces for the netnamer software and for the 5050m when it's used in standalone mode are both so bad that I'll probably sell the device and use MP3 servers (I'll probably just use a dedicated standalone PC until someone comes out with a decent software interface and remote control for a jukebox type device.)

Purchased At:   Crutchfield