Kenwood DV-503 DVD Players

3.5/5 (12 Reviews)

· Digital to Analog Converter: 24-Bit Resolution, up to 96kHz Sampling Rate · Twin Focus Laser Pickup · Dialog Language Function · Frame Advance · Parental Control · Programmable Memory · Repeat Play · Search · Slow Motion Play · Subtitle Function

Submitted by Dawn Schutt a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
My husband and I are extremely disappointed with this model. We received this player in a company raffle. For various reasons we didn't hook it up for a year. When we finally did, it played 3 movies and then quit. It repeatedly said that the DVD was 'reading' and then finally that it was not compatible. The Kenwood help desk told us it would be cheaper to buy a new one than to get this one fixed. So much for a high-end player.

Purchased At:   Sun Appliance, Valpa

Submitted by Klev7 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
My previous DVD player was a Samsung. I had a negative experience with Samsung in the form of needed repairs and frequent skipping while viewing movies. I have already watched multiple movies with this Kenwood and have yet to encounter a single skip or freeze. In fact, it plays a scratched disc I own without the slightest hint of it being damaged. The Samsung would simply break apart at this point during playback on this very same disc. The picture and audio are superb as well on the Kenwood. Yes the remote is lacking a power button. Big deal! This is so minor in my eyes, I am just satisfied to have a unit which plays my movies without flaw. It has been less than a month, but at this point I must say I am very satisfied.

Purchased At:   6Ave.com

Submitted by Ric Lewis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
The picture quality makes even non-DVD video look super smooth. I did have to return my first one because of the crazy "disc is not compatible with this player" error, but the next one was fine. The only problem is that rentals seem to throw it completely: the laser must have very little tolerance for scratches. My current one is in for repair because of this. The FF and REW are full motion, not jerky, which is a pleasure to watch.

Purchased At:   Brisbane Car Sound

Submitted by Smith mail a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
It does not have stand-by mode. Remote control does not have on/off button and eject button. I cann't believe Kenwood produce such a user unfortable product. I don't see any option for 220 volt power source. When you work on DVD menu, DVD drive is very noisy.
It reads CDR's and MP3's perfectly.

Purchased At:   kenwood outlet, NJ

Submitted by Corey Marsh, Sr a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
I recieved this player for X-mas from my mother in-law. My wife and I were VERY excited to have a DVD. We got everything setup, but unfortunately had to buy GOLD connectors for TV to VCR, then VCR to reciever. (Macrovision made the colors bleed...) It played fine for a couple of days, then it stoped reading all my DVDs. It would play CD's just fine, but DVDs would say after 5 mins, "This disc is incompatible with this player. Please insert a compatible disc." I tried to get in contact with customer support and was on hold for two hours! I guess it might have messed things up when I enabled the movie rating password or something. Really loved the player, but it seems like there are some issues that kinda need to be addressed.

Purchased At:   ubid