Kenwood DV-4900 DVD Players

2.4/5 (5 Reviews) MSRP : $1200.00

· Digital Filter: 8-Times Oversampling · Digital to Analog Converter: 24-Bit Resolution, up to 192kHz Sampling (L&R), up to 96kHz Sampling (C/LS/RS/Sub) · DRIVE Distortion Reduction Circuitry: 24-Bit, ver. II · Noise Shaping: 3rd-Order · CD Text · Dialog Language Function · Programmable Memory: 32-Track · Repeat Play: One Disc, All Discs, Program · Slow Motion Play

Submitted by FRISHMAN a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought this player to go along with the rest of Kenwood's top of the line "silver" line up. It looks great but that's where the good things ended. From the beginning, it would not play rental DVDs without skipping/distorting. I blamed this on the DVDs and stopped renting from 2 different rental stores. Only later did I realize that it was the player and then it continually skipped while playing new DVDs also. I had it repaired twice and after both repairs the problem continues. Kenwood is now replacing the unit with the new DV-5700 for free. Great that I pick up progressive scan but I will now have a DVD player that doesn't match all my other units that are from the silver line up from last year.

Purchased At:   4electronicwarehouse

Submitted by John H a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
If you can still find one of these, it may just well be worth the price considering that the upcoming release of the 5000 series has reduced the price of this unit. Installation was easy - I was able to set it up right out of the box and I have had no problems ever since. I especially like the five disk carousel as it saves the hassle of changing out a disk each time you want to watch another DVD. Optional Component Video outputs ensure highest quality video and the Audio DVDs have to be heard to be believed.

All in all a great unit with the benefit of both Audio DVD and a five disk changer. Only the lack of Progressive Scanning detracts from this otherwise fine product (note: The 5000 series units will include Progressive Scanning as well as all of the options available on the 4700).

Purchased At:   Prime Focus

Submitted by John Malsbury a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
I so wanted this player to be good. It started freezing up and was getting worse. I took it back and got my money back.

Well, I guess I'll be looking at Denon now.

I hope the Kenwood guys are looking at this stuff...

Purchased At:   Mil Exchange

Submitted by John Malsbury a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
I found this unit to be great with both sound and video. The only thing it does not have is progressive scan. So, if you are leaning towards more options in audio formats vice video, this is a good selection. The on screen pull down menu is nice feature. Set up was easy, even the DVD Audio 5.1 connection was easy. I only had to make a couple of changes from the factory settings to fit my system and this only took me about an hour. The manual is easy and it has a small spiral bound manual for quick reference. The remote in nice, small, fit your hand. Not perfect though. You have to select one of three modes to operate. Not as straight forward as I would like. I have not run this unit through all the options yet. However, I had no problem playing multiple formats with ease. If you are into audio espicially DVD Audio this is a good unit. I found I had better seperation and detail in my DVDs compared to my JVC player. The disc tray is fast and has a solid feel and sound. Lastly, the player looks very nice. To make a step from this unit you will have to go to the $2000 range.

Purchased At:   Military Exchange

Submitted by Mike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
OK, I bought this player from a Kenwood Dealer located in Okinawa, Japan, that caters to Americans. I spent alot of time researching various products and thought I had made an informed decision.
This is a great looking player, and when it works, it works great! The video was clear and precise, and the audio was crisp.
I give this player a low rating though do to the fact it is by far the most picky piece of electronics gear I have ever seen. It never played a rental DVD, never. I had to use my old player as a "rental back-up." It was also choosy about playing my own discs, which I take extreme care of.
This was not the first DV-4900 I had. The first broke shortly after I got it home. The disc tray locked in the open position.
Perhaps after Kenwood has had time to work out the bugs this player will be better.

Purchased At:   Kenwood Dealer