JVC XV-SA600BK DVD Players

4.25/5 (4 Reviews) MSRP : $197.00

Submitted by Vlad of Romania a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
Was looking for a unit above the mass market garbage and very few exist in the $300- range anymore. The JVC 600 had a few good reviews and DVD Audio capability which would be fun to take out for a "spin" as you say ... Well out of the box the unit appeared to have the build quality of the entry level machines I wanted to avoid. But possibly the cost went into the guts - which I suppose would make up for the mundane appearence. Hooked it up and at first things were impressive. I boosted the black level and gamma to bring it up to US standards of brightness - and having that capability in the machine is a good feature - you can match your DVD picture quality to the OTA and tape quality - less time in the setup screen and more time to eat popcorn. In went 'The 5th Element' as "ref" software. Well, motionless headshots had superb clarity and colour saturation. Great detail with shapness settings above "1" in the machine ("0" was downright blurred - and unusable - silly JVC!) But add body movement or item vectors and look out for the 'jaggies'. Please not I utilised the "s" video and non-interlaced mode thru a Panasonic 32" SF studio monitor grade tube. The panny doesnt have component input - BUT My old 2nd gen panasonic with RCA badge had NO motion artifacts. I have been puzzled all along by the crys for progressive output since my Panny DVD player was asymptomatic in std interlaced output - due I'm sure to pannys superb engineering acumen. Possbly JVC wanted to show off progressive by not massaging the interlaced signal - falsely proving progressives worth. Lets say i'm a interlaced non-happy camper with the JVC. Also the transport. Many times I had to reload to get a clean output - ye old bad clamping- stability problem - another sign of cheapness. Next came DVD audio. I have no software but CFLD kindly provide a "free" JVC sampler. Again I am mr stereo - no 5.1 setup here. And No DVD audio either in 2-channel down mix. the JVC only outputs dvd audio in 5.1 mode. What i did hear in the front 2 channels of 5.1 was ver good - especially on ELPs' remastered Lucky Man cut . Here was great sound for 149 bucks. I know of no cd player below 200 that can compete with this machine. Not absolute nirvana - but a definite step above thrashy redbook cd.
But then the transport could raise its bloody head and kill the music show. Reload the tray if it sounds a bit off - thats all i can tell you. Lastly, The picture seemed to fade away after 4 continuous hrs of play. T3 rise of the machine was almost murky by the end and the machine ejected a hot disc. This is in a well ventilated rack with the VCR below off and a tiny preamp on to eating 5 watts and leaking off 3 maybe. Well the jaggies and the fussy transport killed the party for me. Too bad - a feature laden unit with nice remote and nice menu structure. Lets see how the Panny 55 racks up next week - I can hardly wait (choke, cough!) I give it 3 stars because I expect the progressive output to be free of motion artifacts. - Vlad

Purchased At:   CFLD

Submitted by p_herbs a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
This DVD Player is a very good value with superb performance. The image quality of DVDs is very good in progressive scan mode. It has a lot of features for its price, including MP3 and DVD-audio playback. A nice feature is while watching DVDs, pressing PLAY will skip back 10 seconds, so you can catch that line you missed.

Purchased At:   www.vanns.com

Submitted by Kent Sy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is my first DVD Player. Before buying, I was actually in the market for a multi-region PAL/NTSC player with a built in converter and finally narrowed down to the JVC (Paid extra for the upgrade). I like the simple but very classy design (in black, to match w/ my other system), the unit does offer alot more than I expected, like: DVD Audio & DVD-R/W playback capability. I use the "component" (RGB) hook up and in non-progressive mode through a Panasonic 27" flat, and the picture and sound quality is superb and stunning!

Purchased At:   International Electr

Submitted by magdyboy2049 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
My gosh, very good performer!! I had Sony, good remote, and nice graphical interface on the screen and on the lcd unit, but when it comes to performance, JVC XV-SA600BK will deliver more!

Purchased At:   World Wide Stereo