JVC XV-511BK DVD Players

3.49/5 (67 Reviews) MSRP : $449.95

Single Disc DVD/CD player with Dolby Digital/DTS - 10-bit/27MHz video DAC - 96kHz/24-bit audio DACs - Component video, composite video, and S-Video terminals - Optical digital audio output - Multi-Brand Remote

Submitted by steve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
this dvd player is just bad. it is WAY too expensive for what it offers. personally, i have not had any problems with skipping or freezing, so i guess that is a plus. but it will not read dvd-r, dvd-rw, dvd+r, dvd+rw, cd-r, cd-rw,or photo cd. It is labeled as a dvd/video cd player but it just says No Disc when i try to play one of my own VCDs burned to cd-r. the picture and sound quality is acceptable, but almost all of the other JVC dvd players read cd-r, including the ones that cost only 70 bucks! there is no reason to buy this dvd player.

Submitted by J Pace a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
Player did not work when first received and had to send it in to be repaired. Had a parental control problem, and audio problem, and just plain wouldn't play. When it was returned from jVC for repairs it had a rattle in it, but did play and played well. Put a dvd in last night and now is failing again. I don't think I will purchase another jvc product. When I called JVC about the problem they were VERY quick to offer me 50.00 off a new one. HMMMMM, could it be that they are aware of the problem???????????

Purchased At:   gift

Submitted by Mike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
i bought this player at a big, blow-out sale where everything was half-price. Being that this retails for $450, I thought that it was too good to pass up at CDN$250. I didn't really research DVD players before buying but went on JVC's good reputation for equipment (I had a stereo by them).

I am happy to say that I've had it for 2 years now and it works great. I'm really surprised by the number of people here with severe problems. Maybe I was lucky? I guess JVC has some work to do to get it all right.

Purchased At:   FutureShop

Submitted by terrell a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
Bought while stationed in Japan from onbase store. Have not been able to use with DVDs once I returned back to US. Is there a problem with using on this side of the world????

Submitted by William Brown a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
I purchased this product because I already had the Editing Deck JVC offers for 399.00 Circuit City Electronic. It was the HS-4500U It worked for a few month then I had to ship it off for repairs. When I bought a DVD Player it worked for afew months and then refused to play all DVD's except Austin Powers first movie. I got in contact with JVC in Atlanta, GA and they told me that the EEprom needed to be reset. So I listen to what they said and it work. Dvd'd are computers and they sometimes reset them selve's at least the JVC's Call your JVC Rep for the Instructions at the Service department in GA

Purchased At:   Circuit City