JVC XV-D701BK
Description: Single Disc DVD/CD player with Dolby Digital/DTS - 10-bit/27MHz video DAC - 96kHz audio DACs - Component video, composite video, and S-Video terminals - Coaxial and optical digital audio outputs - Multi-brand remote

Submitted by lyau a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
I am one of the XV-D701BK owners affected by the video decoder problem. I purchased the player new. Essentially, the player suffers from video decoding errors that get worse over the life of the product until any DVD played, new or used, will cause the machine to freeze. I found out today about the class action suit against JVC and Panasonic (dvdsettlement.com) but it is too late to file a claim. This has been a huge disappointment for a product with otherwise good performance and feature set.

Purchased At:   ubid

Submitted by Sid Kim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought this dvd player about three years ago and paired it with a NAK AV-7 and I couldn't have been happier with the combination. Because of the NAK, the sound was great, and because of the JVC, the picture was great. Unfortunately, about 6 months ago, I started experiencing skipping when watching movies. It only happened every once in a while and with certain movies, so I presumed it was caused by scratches and such on the discs. Well, the skipping got worse, and it started happening with NEW DVDs. Now the player freezes up with almost every DVD and won't even recognize some. Of course, my warranty has expired by now, and it's too late to take part in the class action suit. I'm very disappointed in the JVC's quality control. I have quite a few audio components, and when I purchase a new one, I expect to last more than a year or two.

Purchased At:   ubid

Submitted by robmc a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have had this unit for over 2 years and I am finally replacing it. I ave always had problems with it, mostly the skipping and stopping in the middle of a movie. It seems that after it runs for awhile the skipping starts, also it has never played VCD's or audio CD's correctly. I got a cheap Hitachi (like $49) at a Christmas drawing and it plays all without a problem, but is has no optical out, so I am getting another player. I will buy another JVC, since I have all JVC components. I am looking at the SA-600...but there are no reviews on it yet.

Purchased At:   Sam's Club

Submitted by Tim Castle a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
My "acid-test" consists of the battle scene from Russel Crow's 'Gladiator'. You can every detail of the ash-flakes, arrows flying in from close-up to a distance against white background and the color of bursting flames to the reality of a cinema. If you pause, the image is non-pixilated even on a projector screen. You can advance frame by frame with ease and zoom in accurately.
This dvd player comes with 5 channel output. SO even if you do not have a surround procesor, you can use the JVC 701 to do the job just right for you. The remote is fairly easy to use for anyone who knows how to use a remote. There are built in screen savers to protect your LCD or CRT screen from getting burnt..another great feature.

Purchased At:   AA

Submitted by David Schoennagel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
i have the whole jvc system ,surround,tv,reciver,dvd. It is a floor dvd and runs great. compulink is great ,fibroptics is great too. I broke my first remote so the reciver remote controls the dvd. i would like a new one.anyways it works fine and i use it alot. T he only thing that bugs me is aol. it shuts down too much. well jvc is definitely better than a high priced sony.

Purchased At:   Circuit City