Gateway AR-230 DVD Players

The AR-230, Gateway's first DVD recorder, is aimed squarely at entry-level consumers looking to replace their old VCRs once and for all. Unlike more-expensive feature-laden models, the Gateway's main selling point is its affordable $350 price tag (which is frequently discounted to $300 with mail-in rebates). If you're looking for an inexpensive way to archive noncopyrighted VHS tapes and camcorder videos, the AR-230 will do the job. But those looking for more-flexible TV-recording options will want to opt for rival DVD decks that have only slightly higher price tag.

Submitted by petkunw a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2004

Bottom Line:
I bought the LiteOn LVW-5001, which is the same exact unit as this Gateway DVD recorder. I enjoyed it as a replacement for my VCR for 2 months, until it stopped recognizing all DVDs (both store bought movies and home burned DVDs). I had to pay to ship it to LiteOn for repair under their 1-year warranty. After 3 weeks, they shipped it back to me. I took it out of the box, plugged it in, and it would not load any DVDs (ie, DOA). They are telling me I need to pay to ship it back to them. NO WAY!!! I'm not happy with CompUSA either, who only supports what they sell you for 14 days. Lesson learned: stick with major brands rather than bargain, no-name brands.

Purchased At:   CompUSA