Denon DVM-4800 DVD Players

3.82/5 (28 Reviews)

5-Disc Progressive Scan DVD-Audio/Video Player

Submitted by Nathometheatre a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2008

Bottom Line:
Great Player especially for what I paid for it!

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Bob Kivi a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
This unit is mechanically clunky. A real piece of crap. DO NOT BUY IT, you'll be sorry!!!

Purchased At:   Listenup.com

Submitted by DTH a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have owned this unit for about 6 months. I have been mostly satisfied with the performance it offers, and while a little on the expensive side, it is over all a decent machine. However two months ago the unit lost the ability to hold a picture when displaying a DVD. It looked like a TV wit no horizontal hold. I sent it back to Denon and it has been there ever since. Two weeks ago when I called they told me it would ship out in a few days. Last week when I called they told me they will have to wait several weeks for parts. I spoke to the same person each time.

I had a similar experience with a Denon product last year. My AVR 4800 receiver died and I had to wait six months for the warranty repair to be made. At this point I have very negative feelings towards Denon and I will never again purchase one of their products.

Submitted by mkysimes a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
Stange as it may seem I might be one of the only people to complain about sound quality with this machine. It's good, don't get me wrong, but I like brighter highs and a more solid image. I read another review that explained how the sound wasn't quite "involving" enough and I'll have to agree. I will say however that sound is smooth as silk. As far as the dvd player part is concerned, this thing kicks a**! The sound in any 5.1 format (Dolby or DTS) is excellent. The picture is also crisper than anything I've seen on my piece of crap Zenith 27 inch set (I want to upgrade, believe me, but I'm more into the sound for now). However, this all aside, as a stand alone CD player I find the DVM-4800 a bit, just a little, dissapointing. My previous DVD player was a bottom of the heap Panasonic and it seemed to be crisper and definately more transparent than the Denon in terms of music playback. But in no way was the Panasonic better for surround and the Denon's picture is FAR superior. I just wish that I could have the same crisp clean and transparent sound from CDs. Maybe I set something wrong or messed up my optical cable or something...who knows. Anyway, all in all I like this piece and I think I'll keep it.

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by silverpep a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
Great overall player. My 4800 was made in July 2002 and has no problems at all. In fact, it can read DVDs or CDs in about 12-13 seconds. It appears that Denon has improved the transport speed from the earlier models. The sound is smooth and refined even with regular CD playback.

SFLAT: