Denon DVD-3800 DVD Players

4.35/5 (26 Reviews) MSRP : $1199.00

Progressive Scan DVD-Audio/Video Player • Powered by the latest Silicon Image/DVDO PureProgressive (SiI504) Decoding Engine - highest quality progressive decoding engine available • PureProgressive decoding features high speed ultra-resolution DSP at 6 Billion Operations Per Second (6 GOPS)with 64Mb external SDRAM • 4 fields (2 frames) digital video processing for optimum motion detection and compensation • Accurate 2:3 pulldown detection and reconstruction, even with inaccurately flagged content • Optimum processing for film content, video content, graphics content and mixed-mode content • 12fps(Animation), Video overlay detection and processing

Submitted by theatrejunkie a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2006

Bottom Line:
This is my 2nd 3800, as I had to sell my first one for financial reasons, but, knowing I would buy another one as soon as I could afford it! This truely is an outstanding DVD player, and I've never experienced any of the problems mentioned on other reviews here.
One major reason I purchased this player is for the AL24 processing plus! If your looking for a player that has incredible sound, heres just one reason to own this player.
Hi quality DAC's, and build quality is outstanding weighing in @ 22lbs! Huge power transformer, super fast loading, extra deep disk tray for easy placement of dvd/cd's. DVD-A for those that want to take advantage of the 5 analog inputs on the back. Excellent bass management!
The only thing that concerns me (as many others have said also) is that the unit after 30 minutes or so gets pretty warm. When you eject a disk after watching a movie, you most likely will notice that it feels pretty warm to the touch.
Denon quality control says this is normal, and the unit I just purchased was built in Feb 2002! But, you wouldn't know it unless you looked at the date on the back. If you want to know when your unit was built, just look at the product number on the back. The 1st digit is the year, the next 2 digits is the month, and the last 5-7 numbers are unit specific identifying your specific player.
So if you buy a used/pre Owned 3800, and want to track its history, just give Denon USA customer service a call and give them the id# of the unit listed on the back (usually a 8-10 digit number), and they should be able to tell you (provided the previous owner/owners registered the player w/Denon) any service performed, if any.
If you are running this player with a Denon receiver as I am, it doesn't have the Denon link. So if this is important to you, you will need to step up to the 5900,3910,5910. There may be some newer model players that have the Denon link Im not aware of. This feature doesn't concern me, as Im just running a digital optical cable for 6.1, and S-Video. Two cables is enough for a fantastic picture, with incredible black scale levels, sharp reds,greens and blues for a very real, 3D like picture. The audio via the AL24 Plus Processing is absolutely the best I've heard over any previous dvd players. Infact, to confirm this, I did a side/side comparison with Denon's newer 2900 model, and the 3800 just blew it away!! Not even close! If you can find a Denon DVD-3800 on eBay or Audiogon for $700 or less, your making a mistake if you pass this up! Its a bargain at its retail price of $1200 back in 2002!

Submitted by David Fraser a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2005

Bottom Line:
Bought the 3800 on the strength of reviews, and it is fabulous when it works, BUT as many pointed out it is very unreliable once it heats up aftyer 1 hour playing. Many CD or DVD just cannot be read until it cools down. It gets so hot on the top of the cover, you could fry eggs, but Denon say this is normal. I have returned it twice to Denon, and each time they say nothing wrong as it must be the quality of my DVD opr CD - but this is just not true, as they can be read when cold. Also time start up reading a CD can be 20 sec before playing starts.

Purchased At:   Singapore

Submitted by umr a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is a fabulous DVD player. It is much better than my previous players. The high quality DAC's on this player really shine and the Silicon Image processing is fabulous.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by pbmax542 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2004

Bottom Line:
When I bought this player I knew what I was getting into. From reading reviews, I knew all about the freeze-up issue, the chroma bug, and the Y/C delay, but I also read about the how great the sound and picture quality were. I was able to find the unit on crutchfield.com marked down to $600 in there scratch and dent store. When I got it home I scanned over the whole unit looking for the damage, and all I could find was a very fine scratch on top of the player that looked like a white cat hair.

Within 2 weeks I had incounter all 3 of the above mentioned problems, so I packed it up and shipped it off to DENON for repair. I waited impaitently for almost 5 weeks and it finaly came back home to me.

Well, I have to say that it was definatly worth all of the trouble, and all of the waiting. THIS THING IS AUSOME! They were able to correct all 3 problems which would put this player at the very top of the secrets dvd shootout. It now produceses by far the best picture that I have ever seen from a DVD player on a rear projection CRT based TV and from what I have read it's replacement (DVD-3910) isn't going to top it (on a CRT). It has perfect black levels, and a nearly invisable layer change.

If you have a CRT TV, and a lot of time to wait, you will not find a better player under $2K.

Purchased At:   Crutchfield

Submitted by andygood a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
Tweeter sold me the 3800 as an open box for $475, I couldn't believe that I got a 20lb Denon high end DVD player for this kind of money. Well, got it home and it woulnd't play Toy Story II and it locked up on "Meet the parents". Read on the web about the faulty laser pick up problems which plagued the Feb '02 build date models and took it back to Tweeter. After 3 months, I finally got it back from Tweeter (who promised a 4 week turnaround) who had sent it to Denon. Rushed home, popped in Toy Story II, same result. Ok, maybe it just won't play this movie, I figured it was still such a deal that it didn't matter. I rented a basic blockbuster movie the next day and it wouldn't read the disk. I ended up returning it and sucking up the extra $400 for the Denon 2900. In the end, it just wasn't worth sweating it out everytime I rented something. I have had much cheaper players that worked without a hitch. I normally wouldn't feel compelled to write a review to effect the rating of a product but apparently, the 3800 is a real gamble according to numerous things I have read on the web. Sure you could get a good one but I am here to warn you, don't bother buying one of these unless you have warranty recourse. I wouldn't touch one of these babies on ebay or from an unauthorized etailer. My value rating is assuming you got one that works, my overall rating reflects my particular experience.

Purchased At:   Tweeter