Denon DVD-1000 DVD Players

3.77/5 (86 Reviews) MSRP : $399.00

Plays CD, DVD, Video CD & CD-R music discs

Submitted by ScarlaBeavis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
Maybe nobody could believe I got this unit as a replacement for my brand new NAD cd payer that was unable to play 5% of my cd collection.
As you can see I am using this unit mainly as a cd player so I do not know if there is the lip sync problem.
The sound quality seems very good to me and also the rated signal/noise ratio is very good. It can play cd and cd-r without any problem.
Expect what the manual says:
- no cd-rw support
- no mp3 support (even if the file list is read)
- support for video-cd (mpeg1)

Purchased At:   ECHOS

Submitted by Michel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
The Denon DVD1000 is a solid and good looking DVD player. The picture is sharp and clear!.I read about the lipsinc, but i had only uptil now once this problem with a rental movie. I bought this player with the reason to update my Marantz CD600 player, but the sound quality of the Denon DVD1000 isverry harsh! and no dynamics with drumsound at all!. I used a JVC XV521 VD player before the Denon DVD1000, but the audio-sound was mutch better with the JVC what i dident expect!. I now use it only to watch DVD-movies. The positif thing about this Denon DVD1000 is that it has a 4 MB buffer memory!. This is a welcome future, becouse you almost see no iterruption with the layer 1 to layer 2 changing!. Overall a good and hig-end looking piece of equipment what is made in China. The remote controlI is handy and easy to use, no extra buttons that you don't need!. The one screen display shows you what is going on while the Denon is playing it's movie or music-concert. Also the amount of buttons on the player are the one u need to use, nothing more!. like this player!.

Purchased At:   Media-Markt

Submitted by Tarheel_ a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
Player originally had the lip-synch problem. I had Denon correct this problem in less than a week. The audio of this player is fantastic. Very detailed, aggresive and dynamic. Video is no push-over either. Bright and detailed against my 50" RPTV (analog). The DVD player is heavy and feels solidly built. Remote is useable, but team it with a Denon receiver remote and it works flawlessly. Not a perfect player, but the audio is well above average.
If power is interrupted, it resets to audio = 'analog' and subtitles = 'ON'. This can be very aggravating because you must go through the menu each time it happens(i have many power glitches).

I use Component video cables directly to TV and coxial digital out to my receiver.)
TV is Hitachi 50DX10B (analog)

Purchased At:   Sears

Submitted by Don Miller a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought the Denon 1000 DVD as an upgrade to a JVC XV-523 I own. I have not experienced the lip sync problem other buyers have, but I have had repeated problems with certain DVD,S pausing. This was not a disc problem ,but was a dvd player problem according to the dealer and Denon. Imagine holding the remote in your hand and intermittently pushing the pause button over and over (this pausing occurs mostly from midway on the movie to the end). The unit has been back to the dealer three times and the manufactor at least four times, it would play fine for a few weeks then resume pausing which is totally useless if your trying to watch a movie. The dealer I bought the DVD from has been wonderful in dealing with this problem, But I do not know what the outcome will be next week when I take the unit back and ask them to replace it or refund my money (they may not be so wonderful then).

Purchased At:   Hoopers Electronics

Submitted by x-offender a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have owned this DVD player for just over a year. My intent was to buy a DVD player good enough to play my CDs. Unfortunately, I could not afford a NAD so Denon was my next logical choice. I found the CD playback very good except that it was slightly bright (loundness compression on my amp seems to make this less noticeable). As for DVDs I immediately noticed the lip sync problem. I had the Eprom upgrade done at my local dealer which fixed the lip sync problem. I also noticed alot of video noise when the screen goes black. This doesn't even happen with a PS2! That said, the 1000 is far superior in picture and audio than the PS2. After one month of moderate use the laser pick-up broke and the unit would only play CDs and unscratched DVDs (after repeated load attempts). I bought a broken one of ebay and swapped the laser units so now I have it working again.
I was surprised(and annoyed) to find out this unit is a dressed up Panasonic! Does anyone know what the difference is (better sound? picture?) because I could have bought a Panasonic for much cheaper. I am also curious to the differences in sound (if any) between the 1000 and the new 800. Please email me if you know. To me, the DVD-1000 is not worth the trouble unless you can get one with the Eprom updated firmware and a warranty

Purchased At:   Ebay