Audiovox DVD1680 (portable) DVD Players

4.2/5 (5 Reviews) MSRP : $549.94

6.8-Inch Color TFT-LCD Display, 3.5-hour Lithium-Ion Battery, MP3 Playback, Wireless Remote.

Submitted by Jack a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
I wrote earlier about this unit. One major flaw I found is it has trouble playing back up copies of DVD movies on DVD+R. The movie will stop & pause all through the movie. I even bought another one thinking the old one was broken. The new one had the same problem.
I ended up buying a diffent Portable DVD player. The new one works fine.

Purchased At:   Targets

Submitted by jshk a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
Found this wonderful unit at Tragets. The price was cheaper than the Net or local stores. I used it in car, home, & showed off to my friends. This is a solid well made not filmsy like other more expensive brand name models. The sound and picture good 4 driving. My wife watched a movie on trips & loved it. Had it playing through the car speakers through tape head unit(it has a very refine movie sound if u have a subwoofer installed &car is well insulated with Dynamat,highly recommend) the wonderful picture w/screen is 6.8 inches which is just the right size to watch movie in the moving vehicle . This came with a pug in for a vehicle, AC adapter, 3.5 hour battery(indeed play close to 3+hr) You won't go wrong with this unit.

Purchased At:   target

Submitted by 1TightMR2 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
Well let me tell you about this aswome portable DVD player by audiovox. I bought it today (June 3) for $400
tax free at the Navy Exchange and it rocks. For the price I payed its a killer deal. They had the 1700 by Audiovox but after reading reviews on that model it left my mind. Im a 16 year old teenager and having this little thing around at home, in the car, and travling around will be fun! I had had my eye on many of the portables for about a week and after many hours of looking around the web it came down to 3 players:

1. Mintek DVD 1710 (available only at BestBuy.com ($300-400 depending on sales)
2. RCA RCLV50 (Walmart.com $440, Target $500, BJ's wholesale $400, etc)
3. Audiovox DV 1680 (Walmart $460, Target $400 this week only then it goes to $450, and Amazon.com $520)

I did read many reviews at:

1. CNET.com
2. Audioreview.com
3. Epinions.com

And after calling my close by navy exchange and found out they had 3 left for $400 i said "Hold it for me please!". I went down there tried out the Matrix DVD, Shrek DVD, my homemade Office Space VCD and it all worked fine. The only downside to the player is the battery is attached to the back of the player and it does not pivot all the way back unless the AC/DC cord is pluged in. This batter last 3.5 hours unlike the Audiovox 1500 which lasts 2hr 20min (cutting the movie short i guess :)

I was thinking about the Apex PD 50 which was offered by Walmart at a time before they sold out which only cost $200. But they mentioned noting about Battery life, inputs, screen size way to small (4.5 inches) smaller than the PS one's portable screen! So while they were sold out it gave me more time to think about other possibalities. So I highly reccomend the AUDIOVOX 1680!! Even at the $500 range its a good deal but dont forget to pick up a pair of headphones and maby a carring case.

What to look for in a portable DVD player:

1. Large Screen 5.8" or larger (6.8 looks great)
2. Battery Life (very important, the manufacture might cheat and say less than it really is so better safe than sorry)
3.Formats (DVD, VCD, MP3, CD, SVCD) Forgot: The 1680 does not play regular burnt cds but MP3 files on CD-RW's, its cooler because you get to see the names and all)
4. Make sure you know what your getting (take the time and research what your buying, look at my listed review sites)

Later and questions feel fr

Submitted by Jack a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a portablr DVD player that played everything, plus the best bang for the dollar. I found this wonderful unit at Tragets. The price was cheaper than the Net or local stores. I have used it in the car, home, & showed it off to my friends. This is a solid unit. The sound and picture doesn't mess up as I'm driving. My wife watched a movie on a recent trip & loved it. Had it playing through the Vans speakers. I take a ferry to work & it makes the time go by.
Play bugs Life on this & you will see a wonderful picture. The screen is 6.8 inches which is just the right size to watcha a movie. The unit was $120 cheaper than the Panasonic. It isn't thin like the Panasonic. It doesn't feel flimsy at all. More like a solid truck. This came with a pug in for a vehicle, AC adapter, 3.5 hour battery, headphones (use my own)
and a very well put together book. You won't go wrong with this unit.

Purchased At:   Targets

Submitted by Mike Carrillo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have become totally addicted to this portable unit. My friends and co-workers are amazed at the clarity of the video. The sound on my Radio Shack Titanium headphones connected to the Audiovox #1680 outperforms my home audio setup. The picture, though not as great as the ones you get on Panasonic units, is of good quality. You get graininess on dark sceens, which is common on all portables. The new model that replaces this unit (#1700) has a much better screen that filters out glare. All in all, I would highly recommend this unit if price IS a factor. I paid $450 and think I did very well. I have seen an older Audiovox model (#1500) at clearance price ($375) but do not recommed it. Pay the extra $75 and you get a decent unit with a much larger screen (6.8") with a lot less glitches. You will be pleased.

Purchased At:   Target